OT- which model is Ford advertising?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT- which model is Ford advertising?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

Personally, I believe Henry Ford was all about horsepower to weight ratio, with the desire to eliminate frills and control price in order to make a car affordable. This excerpt of a Ford ad sums up what I believe was his theme from the 1903 two cylinder Model A through the V-8.

So....any guesses as to the model advertised by this snippet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Well, .... when I think "more power", the first thought that comes to mind is 20 horsepower !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Rob,To me it sound's as Henry is suggesting this car is built up to a quality instead of down to a price? The lack of vibration may suggest a six,but i think Henry is talking in early terms?? Bud in wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

Burger, not sure how you meant that?......... :-)

I suspect many would question 20 hp as being "Built for the man who wants more power" as the ad says.

However, in my mind, there are three or four "versions" of the Model T. The first version, or era, is about 1909 - 1913. During this period, I believe the Model T was a revolutionary, strong, light, powerful car in comparison with competing cars in it's class. Below is a February 1909 "The Automobile" magazine comparison of cars, showing price and horsepower. I think the T (touring) at $850, is far and away the best buy (as the buying public would support) of cars up to around $1400.

To put prices in perspective, it would take about $21,000 in today's dollars to buy the 20 hp T touring. The Rambler 41, for $1350, would cost almost $34,000 in today's money. Quite a difference for a car listed at only two more horsepower, and weighing considerably more.

A few other competitors in the Ford class:

List of 1909 cars selling for less than $1,500. It cost over $1200 to buy a higher horsepower car in most cases, and if the horsepower to weight ratio is factored, probably considerably more to buy a more powerful car.

I'll get to the ad later (if I can find it again......)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Are you sure he wasn't talking about a Crown Vic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Mike,
No, but similar. :-)

Tomorrow is the 110th anniversary of this advertisement that appeared in the "New York Sun" newspaper. It's one of the first Model K ads to appear after the two new Ford models N and K were unveiled at the N.Y. Auto show:

As with all the Ford models before, and models through the Model A and V-8, I think this sums up Henry Ford's philosophy, provide a high value, tough, light weight powerful car that is less expensive than any other in it's class.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 02:20 am:

I love it!
Thank you Rob!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration