Repo spring shackles quality issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Repo spring shackles quality issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:28 am:

My new original style "U" shaped shackles arrived but they are made quite differently even though they came from the same vendor.

The fronts came in a black oxide finish. The dimensions are as the original. The tie straps are rectangular with the corners cut off and are made of what appears to be a black, hardened steel.

The rears have no apparent finish. There are "seams" along the bearing area which need to be polished down before the bushings will fit over them. The two "arms" are of different lengths and the bearing areas measure 1.997" long (same as the old shackles) while the other measures 2.005" long (longer than the bushing) which leaves a gap when the tie strap is tightened down. The tie straps are a "figure 8"style which I don't think are correct for this style shackle, and the material does not look as strong as the front style.

Bottom bearing area can be seen protruding from outside the bushing.

After reading about failures from weak tie straps (or their equivalents on other style shackles) these rear shackles have me wondering about their resistance to splitting/tearing of the tie links.

Any experience here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:41 am:

NOS shackles show up often on ebay. Good used ones are also plentiful, but in Spain, I don't know! I wouldn't consider using an aftermarket part such as you have pictured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

Surely somebody besides myself has repo spring shackles on their car...?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

In the last picture, the extended bearing surface is the way they should be as to not pinch the spring or perch. The shackle should be free to move in the bearing/bushing when the tie bar is tight.

The tie bar is in a tension load when free to move. When the shackle is pinched, a radial load is applied to the tie bar and shackle. I suspect this might be the cause of some failures. The shackles should move freely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

So the shorter bearing surface should be longer to avoid the radial load?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

The short side will probably cause the spring/perch to squeak and grind on the tie bar until enough clearance is worn into the tie bar. Not to mention a lot of heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Add a small diameter washer to the short side so the tie plate does not ride on the spring or bushing and you should be good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

The "new" one looks like a copy of the Bulldog brand aftermarket shackle. Bulldog parts were pretty good, can't say what the copies are like though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Chaffin's Garage makes and sells a very well made 'U'style shackle set for both the front and rear. I have a set installed on the front and plan on installing a set in the rear when I get to that point.

True, it would be nice to have a new-old-stock set if you can get it, but for a reproduced set you cant beat theirs, although they are a bit expensive.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:21 am:

The shackles as well as all other parts we manufacture are made in the USA. Yes, they are more expensive but it allows us quality control over foreign made parts. We believe that that is important and if the customer doesn't like the cost he can but the junk. But with us, you get what you pay for and we believe that quality is better than cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:38 am:

I have repro shackles on two of my cars. Both are 1926 cars and one was done around 1990. The other, about 4 years later, so they are older repros, but I have had no problems with them. I also think both my cars have the L shape with one nut in front and the other in back.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 02:28 am:

I bought some repro perches like the left hand example in the leading photo on ebay. When installing them, I tightened the nut....probably overtightened....with a standard sized wrench. I was amazed to see the thing snap like cheese. The thread didn't strip, it just broke into two pieces. I binned them and went back to Ford perches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 03:41 am:

Nevin, are you talking about perches, or shackles? I suspect you mean shackles. Big difference. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

I contacted the vendor. They informed me that the rear shackles were old stock which was sent out inadvertently. They are going to send me a set of the latest style to match the front ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 12:49 am:

You are right David. I meant shackles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration