Leaf spring clip bolt

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Leaf spring clip bolt
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:44 am:

The original clips on my 27 Roadster front springs are fastened with square headed bolts. Is this Ford hardware?

Original and repo parts appear for comparison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 08:34 am:

Eric...FWIW the spring clip bolt heads on my '20 are square...I can only assume Ford original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Yes. Ford clip bolt is 4 flats, really not a true square, but almost. Have made new ones by grinding off the edges of hex bolts, just give each corner a bit of radius.

Nice detail to do on your restoration, can spot T with 'Non-Ford' fasteners on the spring clips real easy....good way to show you know your T Stuff :-)

Original Ford spring clip bolts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:54 am:

This is exciting... I'm finally finding something authentic that survived on this car. Cool! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Eric: Check with Bob Bergstadt. He has a lot of that stuff. If he doesn't have them, I may be able to help. BTW, that nut is kinda special too. It's somewhat of a jamb nut, being used in a few other places too, like the front bow to windshield clamps. I think it's 1/4-20, and 1/2 across the flats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Where do you find the spring clips for the early taper leaf spring with the leaf curled up....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Now for another question...

The rear spring clips on my car are riveted to the spring leaf. Is this how they were supplied?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

I have 6 pre '15 T's and the spring clips are different on almost all of them. All have tapered springs but some have spring clips with curled ends, some are riveted to the spring and others have a dimple that sits in a depression on the spring. I have always assumed that there were a few suppliers and each one had it's own style but it could be wrong about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

The nuts are special too. If you order "Heavy Hex Jam Nuts", they'll match the original instead of those off-the-Chinese-shelf nuts. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Eric

The rear springs on some '26 and '27 have those 'riveted' spring clips, they maybe aftermarket springs, but sure might be Ford.

Most spring clips were punched, and had a turned down tab that fit in the spring leaf hole to keep the clip from sliding.

So you might leave them, could be correct

On one rear spring taken apart, the riveted clip could be removed, its short shank just fit into the hole in the leaf, wasn't smacked or 'riveted' into the hole, rather it was riveted to the clip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Mine look like the one in the last picture. I tried to knock the pin out of the spring leaf but it wouldn't budge. No matter, I've cleaned everything up and painted the graphite lube on the leaves and will reassemble now.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration