Old Photo - Dodge City, Chestnut Street

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Dodge City, Chestnut Street
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Postal Telegraph Co. sign at far right ! Postal was gone by 1943. Note the
Postal messenger's bicycle stand with a second sign. :-)

William Saroyan was a Postal messenger boy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

I look at SO many old street scene, photos, one would think I could tire of them. But I never do. Every now and then, I will see another one that just makes me want to climb inside. There is so much wonderful stuff to look at, so much going on on that particular day in small town America. I don't even want to comment much about what is there. I just want to go there, and stay there. In the whole picture and the world around it.
I will look back at this one often and look forward to all your comments about what you see.
I would like to know what the Cloverleaf/Chummy roadster is, near front and center.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Wayne! overland mod 90. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

From the looks of it those kids playing on the sidewalk on the right side of the photo must not have high speed internet. You never see kids outside like that in my neighborhood. They might miss something on social media.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 01:18 am:

Thank you Charley S!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce CT on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 07:36 am:

Neat picture! I've been to Dodge City twice (have gotten out too!)and don't remember such a formidable downtown. Looked it up and it appears they renamed the street to Wyatt Earp. Most of the buildings were torn down to make room for parking lots, divided highways, and a recreation of the city when it began. What few blocks are left look pretty seedy as is with most downtowns today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:09 am:

Interesting thing is that when you see a scene like that, the infrastructure was most likely built with horse and buggy equipment before trucks came along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:48 am:

What Kyle described is sadly not unique to Dodge City. In the last fifty years a lot of gorgeous old historic buildings around here have been destroyed. Typically the owner would fail to maintain the property, the roof would leak, and the building would deteriorate until the city declared it dangerous and turned it into a parking lot or a vacant lot. I see it still happening. The local Carnegie library (1907) sits empty and neglected, and its ultimate destruction won't surprise me.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration