Not strictly Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Not strictly Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:50 am:

On the 7th of November, I lost my balance while going up the back porch steps and fell on my right side, breaking the hip. I knew I had screwed up, when I got up, walked into the house and managed to wobble across the kitchen to the living room where I sat in my recliner, picked up the phone called 911 and was soon on my way to the local hospital. After several hours and calling around to find a hospital that could fix the hip, I was transported to Syracuse, 85 miles away where I languished in thie emergency room
until about four in the morning when I was sent to the Orhotpedic section of the hospital At 7:30 AM, the doctor came in with X-rays in hand and said he Had scheduled me for a procedure that afternoon. At one PM they came and took me to the operating prep room, where they informed me that the procedure would take 30 minutes and the Doctor
would be done. They put in the pins, relocated the leg and yeas they were just about 30 minutes.
That was on the 8th. On the 9th they made me stay in bed and finally gave me something bland to eat. On the 11th I sent me back to Carthage (NY) where I began my re-hab the next day. County Manor, where I went to for re-had is about 3 miles from home and to this place I spent a month after my heart attack. I was there until about the 20th of December after a ramp was constructed which was a required before being allowed to go home. I am now out of the wheel chair and have set aside my walker. I go up and down the ramp with no help, but now have a phobia
about climbing stairs and so the VA is paying for the Ramp and will soon ( I hope) allow a first floor bathroom to be constructed. In the mean time, its sponge baths and a Portapotty. Geez its sad to be getting old. Once I got home I went out to the garage and said hello to the
yellow lady and apologized for not being there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:59 am:

It seems the older I get, the more time and money I have to spend trying to get older yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

John,
Sorry to hear of your accident. Keep up the rehab, and try to keep in good spirits. We're fortunate to live in an era and place where treatment is available and recovery likely.
Best wishes,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

Geez John, I'm sorry to hear of your hard times.

I've felt so great over the last week or two because I finally got some positive news from the VA. Then to hear your story makes me stop for a minute to think of how fragile life can be.

Take care of yourself, go slow and heal strong. Put your fate in God's hands and things will get better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

I hear ya, John. _I know a little bit about what you're going through; this aging thing just keeps getting more and more difficult. _Perhaps the stair phobia may diminish with time and renewed confidence, but right now, it'd be a little premature to consider it a permanent resident. _Living Upstate makes for cabin-fever winters, and that's the best time to be recovering from surgery (I always schedule mine that way). _When the trees start pushing out leaves and the weather warms up, you'll be ready for some pleasure driving, and chugging down a country road in a Model T Ford during early spring is profoundly therapeutic. _Hang in there, Bro.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

John,

Hope you heal up

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Go out to the Yellow Lady at least 3 times a week she will cheer you up, she can't help it it's just the way she is built!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

John, we hope that you get well soon...at least as soon as can be expected. Hang in there!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

To all of those who commented.

First I want to say, THANK YOU for the encouragement and lifting my spirits. Tomorrow
the 26th I have to go back to see the doctor for a checkup. I used to believe that nothing could
do me in, but the older I get, the smartermI get
Personaly I do have a good attitude and outlook.
As regarding the stairs, The VA is going to fund the new bathroom down stairs. Good thing for my better half also, as her arthuritus is beginning to act up. and she has wanted a bathroom down stairs and she said I broke my hip on purpose
so she could have a new bathroom. The snow missed us and passed south of us about 100 miles or so.
Drive way is almost bare, and last three warninbgs have ended up being a light dusting.
I will bet the guy who is contracted to plows the drive is thankful for our light snow. He should be as this is a pre-paid guarantee job and so far has been here when really needed. Last year he came when I called but this year no calls at all.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Count your blessings, you are on the road to a full recovery and we wish a speedy one for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 12:16 am:

John,
Keep doing your rehab. and exercise. I had both knees replaced and am doing very well. It took 2 months before I could drive the T (Have enough strength) to safely push the brake. Get well soon....your model T will be waiting for you.

Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 01:55 am:

My friend and mentor, Bill, told me upon turning 40, "Don't believe all that #@!
about golden years. Life goes to #@! after 40, getting old is hell. It sure ain't for
sissies !"

I'm 54 now, and Bill is 86. And the older I get, the more I understand exactly
what he was talking about !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 02:14 am:

Saddened to hear of your accident John N. I know a bit of what you are going through. My wife's 80-something father fell a couple years ago and broke his hip badly. He had to be flown from Eureka CA to Santa Rosa CA for surgery. Then he had to stay through most of his rehab (about two months). He is doing well now, and has been for quite some time.
So, take the time, do the exercises, and get back to doing the things you enjoy!
Drive carefully, and get better soon! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Burger - You're 54 and I'm 74, and I can tell you that your post reminded me of one of my wife's favorite remarks about those "golden years". Now that we're at that point in life, she says that we're finding out that a lot of that gold is more like rust! And of course, that's not all bad,....'cause you know how most of us "T" guys feel about rust, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

My Sister keeps telling Me " Getting old is not for Wimps"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

John,

I'm sorry to hear of your fall. But I'm glad to hear that you are well on the road to recovery.

I'm still thinking about how to design something (or maybe I should just google it -- it may already be designed) that would help reduce the likely hood of falling. A gyro stabilized vest? And a second item would be something to minimize the damage from a fall. Perhaps a crushable pair of shorts or something with some foam, bubble wrap or white penuts etc. to protect the hips? My wife won't let me use a pocket protector for the pens I carry so I need it to look sort-of-ok rather than just duct tape and bubble wrap (which I think would work but obviously would not be marketable).

AARP mentioned that falls are one of the major dangers for those of us who are maturing. And I've been trying to practice some of their suggestions. Like balancing on only one leg while I brush my teeth etc.

Note you can do Model T research without having to lift heavy loads or go up and down stairs. That is one of the reasons I like it. I can continue to do it even after I can no longer drive the T. (Actually with our speedster the getting in it is harder than the driving.)

I wish you a speedy recovery. And as others have said be sure to do your physical therapy.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

Hap, are you certain you aren't related to Red Green, or at least in his lodge??
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 06:28 am:

David,

We all need a little humor ... it makes the days brighter.

And of course T's make our days even better.

John,

We will be praying for a speedy recovery for you. And that you will be back to driving the "yellow lady" soon.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration