OT, my brother said he's tired of tripping over this.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT, my brother said he's tired of tripping over this.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

He said it's mine for the taking if I want it. It comes with an endless belt. I'm tempted to take it and would love to do something with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Cut many a cord of wood with one of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Reminds me of the movie "Fargo." Or was that a wood chipper......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

I've never seen the movie Fargo. I've seen previews and thought, if that's the way the rest of the world thinks we act in this part of the country, I sure as hell wasn't going to spend any money promoting it. Geez, couldn't the producers find their way to Texas or Central California? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

You could always sell it to me Mike! I would mount it on the back of the Model T tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

Michael,That is a good looking buzz saw! The last one i had i changed it to a triple V belt drive and used it on the fast hitch 200 Farmall.Old fat and lazy Corn is what we have used since 2006.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Mike,
Belt it up to the front of a T, they work great!
Kevin

PS, it was a wood chipper and the case was actually from Connecticut, if I remember right.
I believe it was one of Dr Henry Lee's cases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Well, whatever you do with it, don't do this.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Or Lance, you could sell your Model t tractor to me and I could mount the buzz saw on the back of it.

All kidding aside, what you're suggesting would probably be the right thing to do. Let me think about it for a bit. And, keep in mind, sometimes trading is a lot more fun than buying/selling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Joe, I'm sorry for anyone who goes through something like that. My brother has a hand with a couple missing digits and it causes me a bunch of anxiety when I think about it. I owned my own custom wood shop and a circle sawmill for a few years. I've been around saws, including my Dads buzz saw my whole life. I know how fast this stuff can happen.

We had a sawyer just North of here several years ago that was sawing wood on a mill with a 56" blade that was in bad need of hammering. He made a cut and the board climbed the blade and caught on the teeth. It became a projectile and the power of the saw was enough to put the board through the mans chest. It put him on a fast track to the rest of his life. He died instantly. Early retirement wasn't an option!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Looks like the stuff of another "short" handed American in the making. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

My dad restored a 3 headblock American saw mill back in about 77. 48 inch 3x9 saw It is out in the yard and he lets me off bare a few boards sometimes if I get a cedar cut or something for a project. He is scared to teach me how to run it since I have balance issues and such.He is afraid I will get hurt. We have had some near miss's with knots flying up and such. But so far no injury's.
I have a rough buzz saw down in the woods with some other junk I have been wanting to belt up to Dad's Naa tractor to cut slabs with but have not done it yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stahl on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Kevin - I would like to see some more pics of the accessories on your T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / MN on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

Mike, that is tooooo scary for me to use at my age. I also agree with your assessment of Fargo.....5 minutes of that was too much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

" the saw, as if to prove saws knew what supper meant..." Robert Frost

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

I'm always saddened by remarks such as these. Getting up in the morning can be dangerous. I wouldn't think twice about sawing wood with one of those and have on many occasions. Used one many times to cut wood to length for firing a boiler. I have one, but it's in too bad of shape to use for anything other than yard art. You just have to be careful. That's the problem with us today. No one even knows how to be careful anymore. Everything has been dumbed down and guarded to the max. Well, not the max, 'cause you bet your hiney that some Darwin award candidate will do something someday resulting in yet another guard and government regulation. I remember someone on here maybe 10-12 years ago suggesting we remove the hand cranks from our Model T's in the name of safety. Someone else was brainstorming how to add a hidden starter button to the handcrank. Jeez!

I recently bought a 100 year old lap-seam boiler and will be needing to cut some wood one day. I wish my buzz saw were in good enough condition to do it with. Yeah, I said "Lap-seam".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

I have one sitting out in my equipment yard. Cut quite a bit of wood with it powered by a little AC. You do have to pay attention! You don't want to be called stumpy. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

Our high school wood shop had a hole in a brick wall directly behind the table saw. They hadn't repaired the hole because it was a good object lesson for those in the class. It was a lesson I actually learned and I remain very cautious about not standing directly behind the blade. Sadly, I didn't think about the lesson about not cutting curves and keep your fingers away from a dado head. When the wood left the saw it missed me but put a healthy dent in the front of our 57 Plymouth hood. Forgetting the fingers and curves rule I have a couple messed up fingers. I store the guards from my current saw under the bench but then I have a healthy respect for what power tools can do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Hmmm,....."a 100 year old lap-seam boiler" you say Hal,......for which you'll "need to cut some wood some day". That would tend to indicate steam pressure. Sounds like another dangerous situation whereby "big brother" will need to protect you form yourself Hal. Let's see, license, permits, of course a hydrostatic test, annually I suppose. You really going to go through with all that Hal,.....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

L-l-l-l-a-a-ap seam?! I'm glad I live a few states away!! Unless it's double-row riveted, even then though, I'd be cautious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Lap seam?? as in old style mufflers...

interesting results when they let go...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Yeah, I figured that would get attention.

Yes, I intend to run it. Not looking for 150 psi. Maybe 75. Yes I will hydro it and maybe even have it inspected. No permits needed for private use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

C'mon Hal, run 'er right on up to 180. Then you'll know for sure if she can take it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

I have the pulley that goes onto the Model T rear axle, and anyone can have it for the shipping cost. Pat Kelly - this would be a good way to break in your new Ford engine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:51 am:

No thanks, Michael.:-) I'll probably hydro it to 125 with warm water. If it passes, I'll put a 100 psi pop-off on it and operate at 75-80.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration