Quick Q: Was model year change in June or October or new year?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Quick Q: Was model year change in June or October or new year?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

During 17-20 when was a T considered next years model?
So was a July 1918 a 1919 and a June 1918 a 1918 or was this left up to the Dealers?
Tried to key word search it... but I guess I am not putting in the correct search words...
Thanks in advance..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

1917 Fiscal / Model year began August 1, 1916
1918 Fiscal / Model year began August 1, 1917
1919 Fiscal / Model year began August 1, 1918

You can see all of this info here by clicking on the model year:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/index.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

This is one of those things for which there is no simple answer. Royce's answer using the fiscal year is as good as any. I have read a few times, but do not have any ready references to, "model" years as published in Ford's internal memos at the time. If I recall correctly, most of those dates were around the end of August or near the beginning of September. I doubt that there was ever a strict following of those given Ford's general practices in all changes having a crossover time while both old and new items were being used. Many changes had crossover time of a couple weeks, some (like aluminum to iron hogsheads) the crossover time was several months.
On another thread a day or so ago, I mentioned two sets of three years that are particularly confusing. the 1914/'15/'16s and the 1922/'23/'24s have always been extra confusing. Major changes were made in body structure, radiators, and overall trimming that are generally identified with specific year models. The problem is, those changes did not occur always right around the model year change time. The '15 style touring was not in production until January '15 with '14 style tourings being produced at least as late as March. Center-door sedans and couplets for '15 were however being produced in September of '14. The whole '22/'23/'24 earlier or later style body top windshield and low or high radiator thing has been driving hobbyists crazy for sixty years now. (What IS a 1923?????)
Pile on top of all that Ford did? What all the different states did with licensing. There were some states that did not license or register at all until the '30s. Others began about the time Ford was just getting started around 1900. Even in states that required license/registration, many cars would not be properly taken care of for months or even years after first purchase. Some states followed model years, many did not.
Throw on top of all those things, people's faulty memories. "I KNOW great grand uncle Sedgewicke bought his coupe in 1919!!!!" The only problem is, that the car is a 1924, and nothing was made like that before '24. Have you ever tried to convince one of those people that they were told wrong? (I have, several times.)

I refer to my cars as the "spring '15 runabout", "my April '24 coupe", and my "mostly '13 speedster". Works for me.
Other people can call their cars however they chose.
That is my opinion.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Many model years, but not all, began August 1. Bruce detailed them in the encyclopedia and I've summarized them here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG90.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

I have been doing research on a 1916 model Oakland car that I own. The question of "when" a new model was introduced is a good one. When I was a kid back in the 1960's it seemed like the new models came out about Sept. or Oct. My dad always went to see what the new models looked like. They all seemed to be close to the same time. There were a few that got a jump on the model year and introduced there vehicles at an earlier date (like the first Ford Mustang).

From what I can tell, our model of Oakland was introduced in June 1915, but it was called a 1916 model. I've been reading available literature on Books.Google.com but have yet to find anything that talks about a "traditional" model year of the auto industry...or at least Oakland anyway. Was General Motors (the maker of the Oakland) thoughts towards getting a jump on the competition, or did they just have it ready then so that is when it came out or ??? I have not found an article yet that says, "Automakers Big Show to Introduce their New Models to be held this Weekend at Madison Square Garden in NYC".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

To make things worse, we know that the assembly plants were not on the same schedule as the home plant. Even the home plant would start producing new body style cars on one line while right beside came out the last of the old style. Thus no solid cut off / starting date.
How about all the 1914 style cars produced well into 1915?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 12:09 am:

It has always been that way with the automobile industry. There are Oldsmobiles that are called 1900 and even 1899. Yet, except for a few prototypes, serious production did not begin until about March 1901 for the first few hundred cars that were properly called 1901 models (a late model year start).

Verne S, Lots of car companies did that from time to time. REO and Hudson were famous for it. Studebaker quit even using "model years" for awhile because it got out of hand with them. They made a lot of changes in 1912 and '13. Even building basically identical cars at the same time, some badged as EMF, some badged as Studebaker. 1914 was a pretty normal year, with the model year running approximately September 1913 through August 1914. The "true" 1915 Studebaker was only built from September 1914, into May 1915. Then, they introduced what was for a short time called the 1916 model, also called the "series 16". It was built from May 1915 into December 1915. Then the series 17 was being built and officially introduced on December 28, 1915. NO so-called 1916 Studebaker automobiles were BUILT IN 1916!!!!! In January 1916, Studebaker Corporation sent a letter to all dealers and owners of series 16 cars telling them that the cars were "No longer to be referred to as 1916 models, but by their series number 16". The series 17 was built from December 1915 through about August 1916 when it was replaced with the series 18. They went back to a "model year" like everyone else about 1920.

And you people thought Fords were difficult to follow! ;)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 05:38 am:

Verne - what model Oakland do you have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 06:03 am:

California 'Pink Slips' used to have "Year Model __" and "Date first sold ___"
I don't know if they still do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 10:13 am:

John,
Our Oakland is a 32 or 32B. From what serial numbers I have probably built around Sep/Oct 1915. Do you have one?
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Verne - I'll PM you... John

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration