KR Wilson coil tester

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: KR Wilson coil tester
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Burson on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Does anyone have an instruction manual for a KR Wilson coil tester?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

Ted
In over 25 years of collecting and restoring HCCT's I have never seen a K.R. Wilson coil tester manual.
All HCCT's were essentially the same.
Ford published a booklet for their HCCT.
Here is a link to the Ford manual.

Ford Coil Tester Manual

Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Ted
In over 25 years of collecting and restoring HCCT's I have never seen a K.R. Wilson coil tester manual.
All HCCT's were essentially the same.
Ford published a booklet for their HCCT.
Here is a link to the Ford manual.
Ford Coil Tester Manual
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

I do have a K R Wilson HCCT.

Tester

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

If I find a good deal on one of those KR Wilson testers, I think my collection will be complete. That is until I find a good deal on an original two meter Allen Electric tester or any oddball brand that comes along. I've only got four of them now and I want to do my best to keep them from the hoarders. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

Yep Eric, save em for the scrappers. My boys have already said all my junk is goin there when I kick off! I don't care cause I won't know anything about it any way. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 03:51 am:

Eric, you have 4 coil testers but you're not a hoarder? I guess if you have one for each coil in the box you can get away with having them. Then again, a dedicated collector can hardly be called a hoarder.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 05:02 am:

Keith,
If they're serious about that (and they may well be!), you could always have a will that gives it all to your local or regional Model T club. At least there it will go into caring hands. They could auction it off to the members as a fund raiser for the club or some other charity (like the T museum?). Much better than going to the scrapper!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Holdaway on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

I have a motor powered cooil tester. K R Wilson without a hand crank. How common are they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Keith,
Thinking about my posting, back in January, if you do that, be sure and tell the family you've done so, as sometimes the kids will start throwing stuff the day you pass and not wait for the reading of the will!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:12 am:

James, that is one sharp looking coil tester. Do you use it regularly or is it more for display purposes?

Eric, I've learned that there are two things that separate the collector from the hoarder: organization and theme. As long as you have those two things, it's a collection and not a hoard.

I've always been fascinated by the myriad of coil testing equipment out there. When I started in college I knew just barely enough about electricity to be dangerous. After two semesters of Electrical classes, I know more than I need to know and yet still not enough. I'd love to rebuild a set of coils myself one day, just to say I did.

If anybody comes across an HCCT that doesn't fit in their collection just let me know. I wouldn't mind giving it a good home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Jared - if you want to drive to Washington State to it pick up, this one could be available - it's Standard Service Equipment model - the tester in the background is my KR Wilson motorized unit - I don't need two !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 11:30 am:

Jared,
I guess there's a theme. I think they're cool and ech one has some sort of sentimental angle. I use the Allen Electrc tester in my shop. The SSE tester is one that I bought years ago from Wally Szumowski and gave to my dad. My mother gave it back to me after he died. It sits on my desk in my office. Many years ago, a local club member offer d to sell me a coil tester, but he couldn't remember where he had it stored. Five years later, it was mine. It is a Ford model. My son and I are working on restoring it together when I can pry him away from Jazz Band, sports and video games. The fourth one, is a really unique, early Ford tester that I picked up from Ron the Coilman in Kentucky. I doubt that I'll ever seen another one like it. I'll restore it when my boy and I finish our project.

As long as I'm this far into it, I'll keep my eyes open in hopes of obtaining an example of each of the common variants of testers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

"Eric, you have 4 coil testers but you're not a hoarder?"

Here is how I try to see it - Eric is not a hoarder... YET!

One is a conversation piece, two is a pair, three is a collection, four is an obsession, and five is a hoard...

I'm safe too as this can't be applied to hood ornaments for the T since each one is different, that is unless you talk to my wife...

Now I'll have to go see who made my tester - never knew there were that many makers of these things.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration