ROOF 16 Valve Competion Exhaust Manifolds

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: ROOF 16 Valve Competion Exhaust Manifolds
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

If you are interested in a set of Roof 16 Valve Competition Exhaust manifolds I am having some cast. The patterns are being made right now. The final figures are not in yet but I'm expecting them to be less than $600 a pair. The total cost will be divided up by the number ordered and shipping. When we get closer to production I will have a more exact cost figure. At that time I will want 50% down before the order is placed. No Money No Order. The foundry and pattern maker have been in business many years and are competent. Because this is a not for profit venture I will not be responsible for the end product. I am not expecting any problems, but I am not going to be the warranty company. I don't have machining cost yet, but that should not be significant. It involves machining the bottom surface flat and drilling 3 holes, two that bolt the manifold to the head and one that hold the exhaust tube in place. If you are interested in a set please email me your name, e-mail contact and phone number. When we get closer to casting time I will contact you. rustaddict1 at gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Maybe this should be in the classifieds. I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Happy happy joy joy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

John,
Nope, you're in the right place, although you should probably also put this in the classified, and on the other early Ford forums, the go-fast folks, etc. Then you'll get a larger production run and lower costs/prices.
The reason this is in the right place is that you aren't really advertising a part for sale, but announcing the production of a part currently made of "Unobtainium" and you aren't doing this for the money (if anyone thinks that, do one of these projects!), but for the good of the hobby (OK, so you get a set for your car, but trust me, you'll still pay dearly for them! :-) ).
Although I don't need them, THANK YOU for undertaking this for all the folks that do need them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

Patterns should be back this week. We will then cast one to see how it goes. The mold will add 3/32 on the bottom so that we have plenty of material for machining. The exhaust port will be slightly less than 2.25" so that they can be machined for a good fit. Once we have the first one I will get the cost to machine the whole batch. There are ads coming out in the April issues of FAST and SSOS magazines. The more we have made, the cheaper they will probably be. This will most likely be a one run deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 12:27 am:

You are a brave soul, John Steele! Seriously, that is a great project and if I am correct you are having them cast in MONTANA, USA!! which I like. I don't have a very good mill, just a Jet Mill/Drill but you are welcome to come use it if you want to work on machining them.

Are they going to be Cast iron or Bronze??? Bronze ones would really look cool!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 01:04 am:

Me thinks they might look cool in bronze- at least until you fired the engine, but they would most likely not stand up to the exhaust temperature for an extended period. Class 40 cast iron or 65-45-12 ductile iron would be my choices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:30 am:

Thanks for the update!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini - Sacramento Calif on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

Sounds good !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 09:34 am:

John, here's that photo I was telling you about.

Bill France Sr. (founder of NASCAR) in a Model T racer in 1931 which appears to have a Laurel head with competition exhaust manifolds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 08:01 am:

Here is the first casting of the exhaust manifold. I went to the foundry on Thursday and picked it up. This coming week I will try and get some estimates on the cost to machine these. The foundry is supposed to get me a cost figure this week also. I have ads coming out in the April classified of FAST and Secrets of Speed magazines. Although it will not make a huge difference the more we cast the cheaper they will be. Again cost will be figured by adding up all expense and dividing it by the number cast. I'm paying the same for mine as everyone else. The museum of American Speed will get a pair donated to them which is being spread among everyone.
Ross and Diane Harris Smith are the people who so kindly handed over one of their exhaust manifolds to copy at the Speedster Reunion Lincoln NE last year. We did not know each other and they were brave and trusting enough to do that. I'm extremely grateful to them for that. With out the Speedster Reunion we would have never met.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 09:30 am:

John
Nice looking casting!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Pretty excited! Thanks again for the update!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

I'm ready.....
engine assembly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Happy to report I received my manifolds from John. Grinning from ear to ear. Thanks John, The speedy Bill museum and anyone else involved.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

John is in eastern Montana Deer hunting. He may or may not have internet access. I think he has one more set of these. It might take him a few days to get back to you if you are interested in a set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Seeing photos of these manifolds on a head are impossible to find online, I thought I'd show them off just mocked up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Taylor on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Mike I have ordered a set from John but am still awaiting them. I like your rocker covers. where could i get a set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:45 am:

Les Schubert makes the rocker covers. He is often active on this forum. Here is his contact info.

Email: lschubert at platinum dot ca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Cress on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Thanks Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

Guys
I do have the patterns for the covers pictured. If there is sufficient interest, I could take them to the foundry on the weekend. No, I don't know a current cost, but they will be reasonable !!
My preferred method is PayPal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Taylor on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

thanks Les I am definitely interested.I am in New Zealand and Have a 1926 Roadster. paypal is good for me and Fed Ex for freight. Here's hoping there is enough interest. Cheers Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Lee
Seems like 2 sets, so sure I'll go ahead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

Not meaning to "hijack" the thread, but I see I have a spare new casting of the model "B" exhaust cross pipe and "dogleg" connector for the exhaust system. This is for the standard performance 16 valve Roof

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Taylor on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Les i'm not aware what that looks like could you post a picture please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

This is the part he reproduced.

It attaches to this manifold.

And when installed looks like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Taylor on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

thanks for that Mike. I haven't got one of those manifolds so i will stick to Johns ones for now.
Thank you Les for the offer.
Where do I get a set of pushrods from please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Lee
Pushrods; you make them!!

Good news is I found the cover patterns!! So hopefully in a week or two I will have the castings

Mike
Thank you for the pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Taylor on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

great news Les. Yes i will buy a pair from you please. Please advise price and freight. i prefer Fed Ex and paypal. Just watched to All blacks play Ireland then wife made me mow the lawns. Now for Coffee

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration