Best top and upholstery poll

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Best top and upholstery poll
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

It is now time to turn attention to the interior.
I have a 1921 Roadster ready for seat and top.(in that order)
I would like to know who sells the best kits. Thankee Russ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

These folks get a lot of recommendations for good products and excellent service. http://classtiqueupholstery.com/
There have been a lot of forum comments about how helpful they are with needed advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

I just did an interior and top from Classtique and thought the quality was very good. Their instructions however leave something to be desired but that said you can call them and they are very responsive and will walk you through any questions. I would recommend them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, many km SW of Dearborn on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 12:20 am:

One of these days, I plan to lay the upholstery kits from Elizabeth and Classtique side by side and do a review. I have a 26 runabout and a 26 touring and want to see the differences.

That's one of these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 01:36 am:

At this point in time, I would say it is Classtique (Elizabeth, but she doesn't run it any more; but the "new guy" seems to be keeping the quality up) I think Tom meant he would like to put Cartouche and Classtique kits side by side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 01:40 am:

Classitque, hands down is the best...Cartouche kits seem to be made more sloppily and sometimes the fit is not correct. They do however replace the item that doesn't fit fairly promptly...but if their qualify was up to snuff in the first bloody place there wouldn't have to be a second place.

As for differences between the kits, I think it's in the seam work, and them seem to be lacking in padding too a wee bit. The Cartouche kits I've seen all seem to take a "set" after a few years of use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 01:48 am:

I should also mention, when you buy Classtique, the top kit is just that a kit and comes with everything to install your top.

When you buy a Cartouche kit, it's referring to the top deck and rear curtain only, the top pads and windbreaker are sold separate (not sure about the bow coverings). I suppose you can get it as a complete kit, although I've never seen one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 07:25 am:

I have used Classtique twice and both sets were perfect. (25 roadster pu and 24 touring )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 07:33 am:

My vote is for Classtique. When Elizabeth was running it, and I ordered the top for my 24 Touring, the two rear windows were to close together. I talked to her about it and sent her factory pictures to prove what I was saying was correct. She sent me another rear curtain and made it the way I wanted it from the pictures and measurements I sent.I think she ended up changing how she was doing the windows from that point on. Mike now owns the company. I had questions about installing the seats. I called him and he was very helpful. My only negative is, the instructions are not very clear or precise. There needs to be more illustrations and more in depth instructions, and better labeling of the interior pieces. Even the online video shows just one section of installing the seats. Needs to show installing the sides and into the curve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 07:44 am:

It is a shame that we cannot consider the JV Group in this poll. Excellent quality and instructions.

I feel fortunate that I bought a kit when I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 07:58 am:

classtique

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:03 am:

About a year after Vince Iaccino died I inquired about his installation videos. At that time they were unavailable because the masters were lost. I checked again last year, and that was still the situation. I agree it's a shame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:40 am:

I wonder if the idea of getting copies to the AACA library ever got any traction?

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/211150-jv-group-upholstery-videos-wanted-for-aaca-l ibrary/

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/332053.html?1358223515

I might call to find out.

The better option would be to make them available for purchase on the MTFCA website with the proceeds going to the estate or entity of their choice.

Ok, back on topic....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:45 am:

I met Mike Francis at Chickasha last year, and he is a fine young man. We have helped each other on several occasions. Of the many problems Cartouche has, they were not using metal upholstery buttons when I checked with them. That in itself is reason enough not to buy a kit from them. A good friend got a top from them, and they sewed the seam on both sides of the top incorrectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

Sounds like a landslide.
I went to the website, (thank you Steve for the link) now I am curious about the Stayfast top option, authenticity against quality against the dollar.
Any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

I have a 1928 (A) open pickup and am thinking about
going to a folding top. Does anyone offer a conversion kit?
John Cox
Tucson Arizona

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

John,
I helped a guy do that once about 35 years ago. I forget what he used for the folding bows, as the original top does not fold. Maybe some modified roadster bows? The top does take up quite a bit of the pickup bed when folded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

I just installed a Cartouche upholstery kit in Popeye. That went well, and looks decent. No complaints.

When I bought the car it came with a new in the box Cartouche top kit. I've come to the conclusion that it is not very good. I did not buy it new, so I don't get to complain to the seller about it. The receipt for it is from 1998 so it is probably out of the warranty period!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:38 am:

I ordered the Classtique interior today,
I Met mike on the phone, he met all of my special needs, He seems real stand up!
Still waiting for experienced opinions on Stayfast vs standard top kits...Oh and do we like a roll up back window? It seems like a practical option.
Thankee Russ.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration