OT - Winter Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Winter Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

I saw the great thread about a California T tour, and thought I should get out too. Only trouble, we had a little blizzard going for a bit (nothing like the east coast, just a few inches and wind). So, I started up the K and off we went. I used a GoPro camera but am unable to download it, so had to use these stills. If I figure out how to down load the video I'll add it to this thread.

After driving to the local nursing home, I drove back to the farm, finishing with a drive through a corn field. It doesn't get much better than this:

Wimpshield, who needs a wimpshield? :-)

A stunning sunset:

Four wheeling in the cornfield:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 07:44 am:

The lights look great. You can restore to drive or restore and put it on the shelf, I am glad your in the driving camp. Thanks for sharing.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:46 am:

Load the video on youtube and post the link here... :-)

BTW beautiful speedster....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:48 am:

I've posted this once before, but it has a bit to do with the topic and it brings it back on topic...

https://youtu.be/IVoa49jrJps

Winter driving in the PNW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

Winter driving is it's own reward. Cranking and steering go a long way to keep you warm. Thanks for showing the K out in the snow. Where else could one see that?

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Robert S., thank you, our cars are drivers. In all likelihood in it's next life our K will will be in a museum or static display. I hope for the next ten years it's on the road much of the time.......

Robert B., I filmed in 1080dpi by 60 fs, so it wouldn't load from the GoPro camera to my iPad. I think I have the problem solved now.

Mike, very nice..... I envy your filming skills.

Richard, my pleasure. :-)

Below are links of the video. If you want the plain unadulterated version, including where I yell at the dog, watch this YouTube link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdIoJHsg_cc&feature=em-upload_owner

If you would like to watch with seasonal music by Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, watch this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6vte3igwy4epna/Video%20Jan%2026%2C%2012%2028%2023%20PM.mov?dl=0

This isn't the first Model K to see snow. Frank Kulick, head K tester and primary race car driver for Ford (2nd K), leads a group of Model K and N out of Piquette for testing on a snowy Detroit day:

This Scranton PA Ford dealer found a good use for a Model K upon arrival of a train load of Model N:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Nearly 110 years old and still good to go! You can't beat that. Great stuff Rob. Thank you for sharing.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy that car! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

What normally goes on the back of the car? I see what looks like leather straps but they're just loose. Just curious!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

Seth,

The back deck of the K roadster came with straps, to secure a "travel trunk," or single rumble seat, or double "tourer" seat. Like this photo of the K roadster that led the Ocean to Ocean race as pacemaker from New York City to Chicago in 1909, our K currently is without fenders, and just straps instead of seat(s). We have both the single "rumble" and tourer seats, that fasten in place with four bolts:

This car was owned by the Ford N.Y. Branch, and has two spare tires secured on the back deck instead of seat(s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Pfffff! That's cool! I like it. Just need to make you like a little wooden bed you can strap down and you'll have an insanely versatile car. Lol ok, that's kind of ridiculous actually.

Do you have any pictures of the other seats either by themselves or on the car? I'd love to see them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Seth,
This K in Maine has the tourer seat, with touring rear fenders:

This is our car with the rumble seat, still without fenders:

And in front of the Dearborn Inn, with flat deck:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Rob,

I enjoyed the videos, thanks for sharing. Our corn in Ohio is much taller then yours :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

Denny,
Same size corn, just deeper snow........ :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

That's wild. It really changes the look of the car. The fenders also make a big difference. Thanks for the pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

Some guys have all the fun... :-)

Thanks for the video, Rob, it's great!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

The nice thing to know is that Rob does have the fenders. He just likes to have the car driving around in it's birthday suit....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

Love your vids Rob, its great to see someone out enjoying the snow and cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:28 am:

Great video, seems like snow is not a reason to stay indoors. I still think I prefer the Califunny Sunshine, but this runs close.
I was looking for you to crank the car, but then in the First Start, I realize that it has an electric starter. Lee Pierce added one to the CDO I eventually purchased. Once I fixed the motor, I didn't use it but left it on for the next caretaker...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 03:50 am:

Seth, my pleasure....

Keith, yes, we all do, "have all the fun." A great hobby with great friends.....

Dave, I just want to look cool like my friends with speedsters. :-)

John, thank you.

Tony, no starter..... The reason the clip takes so long to get outside is I'm setting the choke, priming by cranking (by hand), then switching on, cranking, starting, letting the car down off the jack (about 15 degrees F in the building). Then finally backing out.

I'm wearing a GoPro camera strapped to my head. This is a "selfie" taken with my phone after the ride. The camera is above the goggles strapped to my stocking hat.

The car has no starter, and is all original, including the Buffalo carb. The only "modern" parts are aluminum pistons:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

That was awesome! I love the cornfield donut!

I could learn to like winter if I had a car like that. As it is, today is the home opener at Comerica Park here in the "D" and with windchill it feels like 28 degrees!

Thank you for sharing!

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

The Seattle T club invited the Carbon Canyon Model T club to join them on a Tulip Tour yesterday.
Beautiful "winter weather"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Schultz_Sheboygan,WI on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Here are some of the tulips at my place this afternoon. Yes,that is snow on the shrubs.

flower

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration