First parts painted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: First parts painted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 12:40 am:

Today I put the finishing coat on some of my roadster parts.

The headlights and the fenders are all body colour. This is off-the-gun finish in acrylic lacquer.

I used original hood shelves, rather than poorly made repros. They are not perfect, but will not look out of place.

This panel is a Duncan and Fraser piece. It goes under the rear of the turtledeck. The slots go around the spare tyte carrier bracket.

The colour is army drab. It has grown on me.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 01:21 am:

Nice yep drab nice shade

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 05:40 am:

Looks like you've got your thinner right for your temperature & gun pressure & good control of coat thickness. Beautiful work; though not certain I'd go for Olive Drab, but that's just personal taste!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:09 am:

David, olive drab was not my choice either. It is the original colour, matched when I rubbed back the brush coated blue to reveal the original.

Remarkably, apart from having a green tinge, it is very similar to the grey/brown/fawn which is the original colour on my 1924 tourer, which was built by the opposition body builders, Holdens, here in Adelaide.

The plan is to paint a set of 23" Hayes wire wheels in cream enamel to give it a bit of a lift. Getting the shade right will be next choice. All of this goes with a light sand canvas top and side curtains. Hopefully it will all look OK without being a stand-out.

Given a free hand, It might have been two tone red.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:51 am:

Allen, looking good and I think the color will be fine with the wheels a contrasting cream color.

I am in the middle of restoring a 1926 roadster that has seen a rough life. It is keeping me busy and I am having fun. I plan to paint my body red with black fenders.

My question to you is, what color do plan to paint your interior? Dashboard--sill plate--seat frame--metal trim areas---windshield frame? I'm not sure what to do there on mine.

Please keep showing us your progress and Have fun. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:48 am:

i am also working on a really rough roadster that has came to me in pieces body from Knoxville tn and frame from Chattanooga tn. Everything else from mid west to Fl. I am going to paint this car myself and hope it looks as good as the headlights above. Good job looks great! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

Allan,
Well---that's a horse of a different color!! I applaud you keeping it the original color; my Model A Sport Coupe is painted the original colors too. It had had 4 paint jobs in it's lifetime; the factory job, a dark green automotive paint job, and two different coats of what appeared to be house paint! I'm only the second owner.
Were there any pinstripes on the body or fenders? A matching the wheels striping would also brighten it up, maybe a Fawn Grey? and I admit, gee, the color does look pretty nice--and you won't likely find another the same color! I see too many red cars; Corvette Red seems to be the favorite color of Hot Rodders.
I think your hood shelves look fine--much better than the repros look.
More pictures!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

Joseph, some of the items you asked about are no brainers. The dash is a piece of clear finished Blackwood. The windscreen and pillars are all nickel plated. Last night I brushed a coat of black enamel onto the seat riser and the wooden floor. I am yet to decide whether it will stay that way.
The other given is the sill plates. They are Duncan and Fraser etched items in German Silver. They were nailed on with brass escutcheon pins, but I will likely re-fit them with 4g oval head screws, as the hole have been wallowed out.

These are exciting times.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

OOOh, natural finished Blackwood & German Silver and nickeled trim pieces--this sounds like it's gonna be a knock-out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:33 am:

I think David D is right! It is going to be a knockout.
You had previously mentioned that you were thinking of painting the roadster this colour (note spelling I used). Somewhere I had seen photos of a tourer a similar color, and thought it looked really good. Maybe it was yours?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Wayne, is this the one you mean?

My Tarrant Motors 1924 tourer with body by Holdens of Adelaide.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 03:24 am:

Allen B,
I think that may be the one, but I am not certain. The photos I saw a few years ago were taken on a rallye (did I spell that correctly?) along with several other cars.
Beautiful car, regardless!
Thanks!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration