Home made outside oil line

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Home made outside oil line
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 01:22 am:

Hi all. Here are some photos of an outside oil line made using the starter housing modified to form a funnel. I thought it was interesting.

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 10:40 am:

That's neat! Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

Clever!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Yes, clever, sort of. Accessory oil lines are used to cure a shortcoming of the model T engine, oil starvation of #1 & #2 rods on hills. This design uses a cast in port to collect oil for the front of the engine.

Look at the oil line slope. It will not flow oil when climbing hills greater than about 5º. So this is designed to send oil up front all the time, except when it is needed.

Add to this the loss of the starter, the need to drill through the block for the oil return hole and it's mounting bolts, and one begins to become puzzled about the idea.

Sending that oil line down to the bottom of the pan would make a bit more sense as it would then work on small hills... Maybe all of Florida, Kansas and parts of Oklahoma!

The one interesting thing about this design is that it is the only design I've seen which collects from the whole width of flywheel and magnets.

TH

(Message edited by thorlick on January 26, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

It might still flow oil when going uphill. There would be a tremendous force applied to that large funnel. It would likely force more oil than could be passed by the tube when going on level ground. It would maintain positive pressure on the line when going uphill.

Also, the engine would not necessarily have had a starter. A good running T doesn't really need one. Non - starter cars came with that hogshead when new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

Gary Tillstrom has posted a variant where he taps the bendix cover for oil: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/503441.html?1419275235

With that you may still have an electric starter for emergencies in a crowded intersection (I don't find any other uses necessary unless you're disabled :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

Royce:
I have found that the volume and pressure of the oil delivered are highest on the passenger side and both decrease as you progress around to the driver's side. This is a function of direction of engine rotation. The starter location is where you will find the least volume and pressure delivery. This is not to say that the amount tapped on that side will be inadequate. My oiler design pulls off of the passenger side and completely fills the 1/2" delivery tube with 3-8 psi oil.

Roger:
The thing about the set-up shown is that it pulls across the width of the flywheel. Tapping the Bendix cover only pulls from what can get out that hogshead hole aided by however much the starter snout would deflect that direction and decreased by whatever the starter blocks.

It is my opinion that taping down near the bottom of the hogshead and then running forward to deliver near the bottom of the block casting is an exercise in futility due to the near zero slope of the oil line. I much prefer installations maximizing the fall over the run of oil line (highest slope) and pulling from the top or passenger side.

For a car which never sees mountains or grades over 25% or so then there may not be a need for a high volume auxilary oil line.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Here is an other variant of the outside oil lines.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 02:35 am:

Andre,
I still doubt that oil lines with such small slope will do anything useful.
Respectfully, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 03:04 am:

Andre, do you have any pictures of the oil intakes inside the oil pan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 06:20 am:

Eric and Terry,

I worked on this engine a few years ago. In one of the pipes there was mower oil filler cap.
The owner told me the oil should be filled up till the top of the filler, way toooooo much oil, but there were a lot of other issues on that car.
Together it took me three months to make it run about correctly but I was not pleased with it. The car was overhauled twenty years before but they could never get the engine running or have driven the car.
The oil lines came about 1" in the oil pan. There is no magneto coil ring and the flywheel have flyers. At that time I didn't think about taking photos of the inside of the oil pan.
During the rebuild I put a few lines on this forum about it.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 06:52 am:

Here you can find the complete story about this oil pan and engine

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/363009.html?1376569958

Andre
Belgium

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration