OT; 02 Honda motor transplant sucessful; thanks forum!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT; 02 Honda motor transplant sucessful; thanks forum!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 05:58 am:

Back at the end of last year I asked for some help with my wife's 02 Honda Accord that was using oil. Well, based on your responses, I had the compression tested and it was way off from cylinder to cylinder. The shop said, "Don't spend any more money on this engine, just run it until it quits." Since we cannot function well with only one car, I decided to replace the engine now, not later and the forum came to my rescue! Les Von Nordheim emailed me offering an identical engine he had stashed away as a backup for his car, that he is getting ready to sell. Now, it turns out this engine is just about a month older than Linda's AND it only had about 100 miles on it--the car it was in had been in a garage fire when it was brand-new.
The only problem was, it was at his house, at the other end of the state. California is a LONG state, about a 12 hour drive from my place to Les' place.
OK, Road Trip! Made an "adventure" of it; started out by stopping in Sacramento for a Theatre Organ Club Holiday party, then stopped at Larry Smith's to swap lies, listen to his Ampico reproducing piano, check out his garage and pick up some muffler pipes for myself and some other T folks up here (saving crating & shipping). Then over to Villa Park to visit with a childhood friend I hadn't seen for some 30 years & the next day to Les' for the engine and a T ride & shop tour-and a great lunch. Les' & Barbara chased us out in time to miss the main rush hour traffic--they had the timing figured out right too! My first day down there reminded me of why I don't live there! If four cars in two hours go by my house, something's going on--that's my kind of "traffic!"
Well last Friday we got the car back and the new motor just purrs. It runs better than it did when we bought it with 60K miles on it.
Model T Folks are the BEST!!! And this forum is too!
So, a BIG thank you to everyone that helped out and made this possible--especially Les & Barbara!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:41 am:

David, i drive customers for a local honda shop. you might check honda for a service advisory on your engine issue. I don't believe it was a recall but this burning oil is a known issue. This is an issue with certain years that had a problem with the piston ring gaps lining up. I believe that is what i heard from around here. Anyway, check your honda shop to see if your engine had any issues. Years, engine size and model I don't remember but i know i heard of this issue. good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:32 am:

Back yesterday from Yuma checking out my backup Toyota. Three thousand miles on a ninety inch hundred eight HP engine and not a quart of oil used. The next time if ever we go it will be by plane. It would still be far less green then a local dentist would charge for the same work we had done in Mexico by a dentist with more credentials

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

Tyrone,
The old engine was probably one of those, as when we bought the car (from a dealer!) at 60K miles, it used oil, about a quart in 3K miles. Turned out the rapid increase in oil consumption that lead to the compression test was a stripped drain plug (I park on dirt, so didn't see the evidence. The compression test told us to forgo the timing belt change (which was due)and replacing the engine was the cheapest correction--even cheaper when Les contacted me with a Factory-built engine with only 100 miles on it. THAT was a miracle! And we got to make new friends And have a road trip to meet old friends (Larry was up here a few years ago on a tour, so we already knew each other--what I didn't know is he lives in a neat Craftsman house And has a Reproducing Piano--his plays, mine is still awaiting restoration.).
First time I checked the oil, I had to stick it twice--the oil is so clean, I can't readily see it on the stick!
Was thinking this morning that I should see if Honda has a recommended "break-in" period. The first driving was 15 miles each way, then the Sacramento trip, which is around 100 miles each way, mostly highway driving, although I did rev it up and down a bit.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration