Ford Tire Repair Outfit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford Tire Repair Outfit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:41 am:

A few days ago, there was a Ford tire repair outfit on ebay with the original contents. Does anyone know if this was the first tire repair kit that Ford made for the Model T and put their name on? What years was this kit included with the Model T toolkit?
TK1
TK2
TK3
TK4
TK5
TK6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

That's an early one.

Ford discontinued the "Winged Pyramid" symbol somewhere around 1912 or in the neighborhood - some association with the "dung beetle" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

It is very nice to see it.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Cool kit - and at $51 it looks like a great buy :-)

I don't think the kit was included with a new Ford - you had to buy it at the Ford dealer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

Sorry, I was wrong. In 1914 Ford included a tire repair kit with the tools, and likely many more (all?) years.

uiu

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

In 1926 the Emergency Kit could be had from dealers, included tube patch, plug, and spare bulbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

The Winged Pyramid logo first appeared in the March 1912 issue of Ford Times and was prominent in advertising and the Table of Contents page until late 1915, early 1916. After that it only appears in Ford Times in photos of dealerships etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

I don't know if I would buy it or not...It doesn't look like the patches will stick anymore and the glue looks dried out! :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Dennis, picky, picky. Ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

up to 1914, The cars had tire patch kits supplied buy the tire manufacturers.(diamond,goodyear ect.) They even supplied tire irons with their names on them. THe tire irons were not put in the tool roll. They were just given by the tire companys.
After 1914 the tool roll had a Ford Tire Patch kit and tire irons in it made by ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 09:09 am:

This list, from March of 1913, would indicate that the tire repair kit was supplied with the car prior to 1914.

list

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:21 am:

Back to this subject of tire patch kits! I have a 12' which was made end of November 11'. Sounds like to have a proper tool kit I need to include a tire patch kit. I've got tire irons that are Goodyear, so do I need to find a Goodyear tire patch kit to be authentic? How would I know if & when I find a patch kit it is correct for that period? Is there any reference material out there to know what is correct? Lastly, anyone out there have one to sell? Thanks for any information which might be helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Bob

Likely you would have to adv., or search eBay or swaps for a patch kit or at least the can that the kit came in. That can should have the maker's name.

This is a can kit with Diamond brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Bob

Am not an expert on Goodyear period items, but believe this can with the early flying boot Goodyear graphics is likely correct period for your brass T.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-TIN-GOODYEAR-No-Rim-Cut-Tires-Tin-Box-Inner-Tube -Bicycle-Good-Year-Logo-/152002176828?hash=item236409273c:g:Aw4AAOSwoBtW18dB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:26 am:

I wonder how you would put the patch kit in the tool roll? I would put it along side it! The original tool rolls definitely had two slots for the tire irons. If you look closely at an early parts book, the tire irons pictured are definitely Diamond brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Ford Motor Company kept the "Winged Pyramid" logo on the covers of the "Price List Of Parts And Accessories" catalogs well into 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 05:17 am:

Thanks for everyone's help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

A bit late with the post, but this was also a component of the tire patch kit:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:58 am:

I have been trying to research the 1909-13 tire repair outfits (or kits) supplied with the new Model T’s. It has not been easy to find information on them. I believe that Ford bought the kits from the tire supplier and placed one in each new car. The tire kit contents were in the tire manufacture’s box which was separate from what was in the tool roll.

I have found these tire repair kits listed in the tire manufacture’s catalogs and some early auto supply catalogs. The pictures in the catalogs are always an artist’s drawing with little detail. These boxes and tools are very scarce and hard to find any examples that have survived. I have seen more boxes and tools of the Diamond brand than any other but they too seem to be very scarce. The tire tools were the most durable pieces in the kit but I’m sure that the majority of them were lost or turned into chisels.

By-the-way, I don’t believe the “Goodyear No-Rim-Cut” kits were used by Ford. The No-Rim-Cut tires were the newest type of tires made by Goodyear starting in about 1910. Henry probably thought those were too expensive for the Model T. So, Ford continued to use the older clincher rim tires up until 1918.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration