First Time T Owner

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: First Time T Owner
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - Seattle, WA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

At the ripe old age of 29, I've stumbled into, judging by the bead on the top of the front fenders running under the splash apron, a 1925 Touring car. I bought it about a year ago, but a scored cylinder wall and a seized piston have kept it off the road. The engine (Number 10905072) is out of the car and being gone through by Prius. It should be back in service in a month or two.

Through my scouring of the forums over the past few years, I've learned quite a bit. This thread on safety has been a wealth of information:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/576808.html

\image
The oil spot is spilled coolant from when I removed the head to see why she had a tough time cranking over.

\image
I've read that later 1925's came with a one-piece rear window, but, with an engine number from December of 1924, is this window on my reupholstered top correct?

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - Seattle, WA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

The oil spot is spilled coolant from when I removed the head to see why she had a tough time cranking over.

I've read that later 1925's came with a one-piece rear window, but, with an engine number from December of 1924, is this window on my reupholstered top correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - Seattle, WA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - Seattle, WA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - Seattle, WA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Well, that was a mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Ken,

Welcome to the affliction. You've got a real nice looking touring car there.

We've got a good group in the Puget Sound Chapter and would like to invite you to check us out. We have a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/977248242308231/

Check it out and then come join us at our February meeting at 9 AM on the 13th at Bob's Burgers & Brews on Everett Mall Way.

If you send me an email address, I'll forward the most recent copy of our club newsletter. My direct email is wberdan at comcast.net

Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Welcome Ken,

Glad to see another Puget Sounder on the Forum.

Here is the contact information for the T Club in the Seattle area.

Puget Sound Chapter
c/o Walt Berdan
16713 SE 35th St.
Bellevue, WA 98008
425-643-0858

You have a standing invitation to come over to Kitsap County and visit anytime.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Walt Types faster :-(

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

That car looks to be in very good condition. If it runs as well as the car looks, you have a good car. Anyway, the drive train is rebuildable, but a good body is harder to find.

Good luck and I am very happy that a younger person is interested in keeping these cars alive.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:25 am:

Ken, you're a quick study. Got the photos up on the third try. Some guys have been on the forum since Hector was a pup and still can't post pictures. :-)

In case you haven't looked it up, your engine serial number says Friday, December 5, 1924, solidly in the 1925 model year.

From the encyclopedia: "Later 1925 tops had one rear window, as in the 1926-27 models."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Wooo, nice car...now lets take it apart and see what's inside...just kidding.

You do realize that this is the first of many T's you're likely to own...but a 25 touring, is a good place to start...you'll probably want a brass one next. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Wow, great score! Welcome to the hobby! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 10:52 am:

Very nice T.

By mid model year 1924 the upper windshield frames were drilled with holes from the factory to mount the Ford wiper and Ford rear view mirror, that is on your T....1925 feature.

The rear window is correct for a 1925, 'cept the installer used tack on welting around the top to the tack strip, and also same exposed tacks around the front seat and arm rest.

The correct welting would be 'Hidem' style, where it is split open, and the tacks driven in to be hidden in the welting.

The caps at the ends of the Hidem are special Ford version, square ended on the long runs.

It's a little detail, and some don't matter, as your T is just real fine as is!

(the end arm rest welding was my added later repair with exposed tack, should be Hidem there too.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 10:53 am:

December 1924 is several months into the 1925 model year. Looks like a well made, great fitting top. Would be nicer if the rear window rolled up for hot days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Welcome Ken!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Very nice 25 like the first T I bought years ago. Good comfortable T. Note it has correct 25 front fenders. Just remember ,like Martin said you will probably want a brass one later. Seems you can,t own just one of them .Enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Very nice looking car. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

Welcome !! Sweet car !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

Welcome to you Ken !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

Nice car Ken, and welcome to the affliction. As mentioned above, might as well plan on another, and another, and....

Sure wish I'd have had the opportunity to get into the hobby at your age. Congratulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Ken - A really nice car! Maybe not good advice, but even if the car ultimately needs some mechanical work, as Norm says, the body is what's most important, and frankly, even if you end up paying a bit too much, in a few years, that won't really matter,.....in fact, you probably won't even remember what you paid for it!

Royce - Not meaning to be argumentative, but your thoughts about the "roll-up" rear window no doubt comes from your experience in Texas and such, but trust me on this one, in the Puget Sound area here in the PNW, we don't have to worry much about hot days! Ha ha,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Welcome!!! You are now doomed to a wonderful addiction for which there is no known cure!!! (Thankfully!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - Seattle, WA on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I started the process of going through the mechanicals a few months ago. I'm right there with you, Harold, about spending a few extra bucks today so I'll have a quality product to play with for years to come.

Does this text show up anywhere?

Earlier today, I got a call from the machine shop that is rebuilding the engine. He told me to buy a boat, because my engine block will make a nice anchor. When he ran it through the hot tank, a large amount of JB Weld broke loose, and the crack it was patching is not quite repairable. Looks like the motor will end up being as nice as the rest of the car!

I've had visions of a brass C-Cab Van for years, but my garage isn't even tall enough for the Touring to be stored with the top up, so I'll have to settle for a speedster.

I'm curious about how authentic the past frame-on restoration is, simply so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about while bench racing. I like her just fine the way she is!

And I will definitely meet with you folks from the Puget Sound Chapter on the 13th!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Ken, I have a spare engine with a score in one cylinder 1925 and under. I used to live near Seattle and now live near your engine rebuilder. If you're interested in my engine which has no serial numbers, I can drop it off with him. And you can continue with your build. Lemme know.

-Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration