Bosch Triple Gear Drive question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bosch Triple Gear Drive question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

My triple gears were really worn and I had some new ones made. The guy that made them for me strongly recommended that instead of filling the little case with grease, I figure out a way to seal up the case and fill it will rear end oil or that sticky Lucas stuff.

So! I added a bead of ultra Black to the case cover and let it cure, slapped some Lucas in there cause I had some on hand and presto, I was in business. Except, I forgot about the hole where the largest gear is passing through the case on the end of the cam shaft. After I drive every time so oil leaks out the back of the case.

I wanted to know the board's recommendation for sealing up the hole. Should I have the gear machined for an O-ring, if so, the back face or the shoulder? Or, should I have the case machined for an O-ring, if so, the inside of the hole (I would imagine that's a very tough place to machine a groove?) or the face around the outside of the hole?

Or! Perhaps there is some solution I have not considered. I do now I can't put a seal in that hole because the shoulder of the gear has to ride on the camshaft. What say ye?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:43 am:

Seal up the gap on the backside between the Aluminum bosch case and the timing cover. You could use epoxy putty and some mold release as q quick ad dirty solution or machine the back side of the case and make a spacer ring to fill the gap. Put a seal in the timing cover to seal the cam and keep your gear lube out of the engine and you are good to go. Forget using an o-ring- it will wear out quickly and leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:45 am:

You will also need a vent on the Bosch case or you will blow out the RTV and create another leak point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Dan you're a genius. I checked and the case rests directly against the inside raised surface of the timing gear cover. I just ran a bead of Ultra Black around that and the case squished it nicely. I very, very rarely remove the case so I can just seal it up that way each time.

There's a grease cup on the case that is open to the atmosphere so hopefully that will be enough vent. I've got it all sealed back up and I'll see how it does tomorrow after the Ultra Black cures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:03 am:

I'm curious -- is your front cover a standard production Ford cover or do you have the correct Bosch cover for mounting the triple gear setup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:29 am:

Walter, I've seen the Bosch cover and mine is not like that. I purchased the triple gear drive setup a few years ago and did not get a timing gear cover with it. At the time I didn't even know there was such a thing.

I've seen a couple different production Ford covers. The later year covers will definitely not work as the oil fill hole extends too far down and interferes with the triple gear case.

The earlier Ford cover on my '14 engine fits fine with no interference issues from the oil fill hole.

Here's the thread where they talk about the Bosch cover verse the later Ford cover. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/270216.html?1330765197

And another one comparing early and later Ford covers. Mine is an earlier one. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/480355.html?1411392600

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Interesting. I found a Bosch cover that I bought in advance of finding my triple gear. It was incorrectly listed on eBay though, judging by the bidding, others recognized what it was. It fits up to the triple gear real nice. I didn't know any of the Ford production covers would fit. Good stuff. The one later one I have on hand will not for the reasons you mention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tomlinson on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

It's been a long time since I built my speedster with the Bosch Triple Gear setup, but I believe I made a leather gasket that fit in the slot on the back case (visible in Seth's first picture). I didn't know any different, but it hasn't leaked (that I know of) and I used gear oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

I did look at it closer and there's a groove in there for felt or as Howard said a leather gasket. I've got it all sealed up and added oil to the grease cup and it's going in VERY slowly and only when bubbles come back up.. I'm confident it's sealed up everywhere. Hopefully once all the oil drains in it'll be able to equalize any pressure created inside while running through the same hole that the oil made its way in through.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration