1913 tail light glass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1913 tail light glass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

I have a right hand drive taillight. I would rather have a left hand drive. This would mean switching the clear and green glass side lenses. Is it possible to exchange the green and white glass. I found this photo on the internet and it is the same as mine except it is set for left hand driving. Does the glass come out in one piece and go back in the same way ( one piece)and if so…How? tail light

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Will the glass crack if I try to press it? I don't have spares

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Ummm, how do you know that yours a right hand drive tail light...mine also is on this side of the car and it's where my license plate holder is so I figured it was correct and my car is left hand drive.

The clear lens points to the plate and the red one is on the rear...just like mine, although my car is a 22.

I've seen other with the tail light on the left side of the cars 20's black era's and recently a 1909 with the tail light on this side of the car.
Just curious why you think yours is a right hand drive tail light?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

The photo you have is correct for a USA left hand drive car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:21 am:

Go back and read the whole thing. He is showing a photo to show the style/model/make of lamp HE has, not the one that he has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:32 am:

Ahhh, ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 04:01 am:

It's risky to take out lenses and crimp them back again, would be an unnecessary risk on a good light imho.

Maybe someone in Canada or overseas who search for a RHD light to be placed on the right side would consider buying you a more common and thus easier to find (in USA) LHD tail light for a trade?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 08:08 am:

Show us a photo of what you have and not what you want please... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 08:40 am:

Might be easier to take it apart (un-solder) and swap the panels. The lenses are rolled in and any attempt to unroll them usually breaks the glass. You might try a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut the outer edge of the roll--On the inside. Leave 4-5 uncut sections to act as tabs to mount the new lens. This too is more easily done with the lamp apart.

(Message edited by ccwken on January 28, 2016)

(Message edited by ccwken on January 28, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Maybe a silly question, but can you swap the top and bottom assemblies and flip the middle part upside down?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration