OT Paint Advise Sought

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Paint Advise Sought
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:50 pm:

I come here for the vast wealth of knowledge of many things pertaining to restorations in general and I hope some of you can help with my latest problem. To save time, money and effort I painted my 1917 Maxwell with Valspar interior latex. It saved a ton of money and worked perfectly. I'm now adding extra directional signals and lighting from the teens and twenties to make it safer and more drivable. My problem is the lights are in original black paint and stand out from my military Olive Drab and I'd like to paint them as well but hate to destroy the original black paint.
I'm wondering if a coating could be put on the lights that would protect the original black but allow me to cover it with Olive Drab which would be removable later if need be?
This sounds crazy but I would think movie studios must do this with vehicles they borrow for films and then return to the owners in original condition.

Any ideas?
Howard DennisMaxwell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:35 am:

Howard, they do magic things when wrapping a vehicle in film with signwriting on it. The deep shape of the headlight bucket may rule this out, but it might work. I suggest you talk to a sign maker/vehicle wrapper.

Otherwise, a second set of lights would do the trick.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:55 am:

There are products used to mask objects.
It is a water based liquid which one sprays on.
Normal paint solvent will not dissolve the coating so you can spray normal paints over it. It is used by movie companies to change the color of vehicles if needed.

3M used to market a product called "Spray and Mask" in Australia but I'm sure a similar product is available in USA. Check with an Auto repair shop or contact a Auto paint manufacturers.

As it is meant to be a temporary solution it can be removed by breaking the coating and peeling off or applying water (hose) to get under the mask material.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration