Old Photo: Large isinglass side curtains in 1927

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo: Large isinglass side curtains in 1927
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Here's a Danish built 1926 Touring in Trelleborg, Sweden in 1927:

ttt

Looks like the Copenhagen factory was more generous with the celluloid in the side windows than the US Ford plants?
Note the triangular flaps for opening the doors from the outside.
Since the car may be a year old when pictured, the side windows could have been custom made / aftermarket - haven't noticed other original pictures of swedish 26/27:s with the side curtains up - yet.
The tires with double white sides may also be aftermarket.

Here's a US 26/27 for reference, originally posted by Dan Treace:

US

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:37 am:

A little search later it looks like the extra visibility was a standard feature - here's a couple of old pictures of another 1926 Touring in Sweden, seemingly with the same type of side curtains:

ty
ui

Lots of period Ford pictures here: http://www.massingnickel.se/orgford.html
(has been linked before, in 2011 )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 10:15 am:

Roger

Thanks for that photo of the Swedish Improved touring.

Here is a photo of a new touring, Ford of Canada, has similar larger window curtains.

Guess the domestic USA open cars got the least windows...maybe that's why the tops on down on all the old photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 05:30 am:

Now I saw an additional picture of the car with the top folded.
Seems like it's some kind of accessory side curtains - the shadow from the rear bow fooled me in the first picture, so I thought it was similar as the pictures of Canadian and other swedish standard side curtains, but this looks like it had more irons than the four pins in the doors Ford used. I wonder if it was sturdy enough so you could drive with the top lowered?

jjj

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration