26 coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 26 coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:33 am:

On the 26 coupe where the headlights bolts directly to the fenders, is there a rubber gasket required? I don't see one available from Lang's. There is only one for the light bar. Is it the same gasket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Ford didn't use one, but you can if you like :-)
Easy to cut from some rubber, like an inner tube?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

I'm not sure if they were factory installed or not. When I bought my '26 coupe in 1970. there were 2 old cracked rubber cushions between the fenders and the mounting flange for each bucket.

Already cut rubber gaskets are available from the parts places for this and I recommend them. Not only do they stop metal to metal noise, they cushion the fender and the underside of the bucket mounting flange and prevent scratches that can contribute to the formation of rust under the flange and on the fender. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/6579.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

I am adding them to the list of small items i want to put on my car. I haven't had the car long but i have came up with 10-12 things i want to change or replace. I think it just makes sense to add these unless you have a nice original show car. It could stop the 2 surfaces from rubbing and rusting later... just my thought Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 12:45 am:

You need a negative ground for the lights to work. The ground is provided by means of the ground cable connecting the negative battery post to the chassis. Is it possible to prevent the formation of a good ground to the lights by using the rubber cushions and by having the surfaces so well primed and painted so as to prevent the negative contact from finding find its way to the light sockets? I think a negative contact could be guaranteed, by exposing the bare steel inside the holes of the fender and the bucket mounting flange so that a negative ground contact is maintained through the shaft of the bolts. Jim Patrick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:21 am:

Bolt holes do not always work reliably for an electrical ground, especially on old previously rusty metal. If I have any grounding issues for lights, the first thing I do is put new lock washers on all bolts in the ground path. I put a lock washer under both the bolt head and the nut. That puts one on both the bracket and the frame. The lock washers can bite through the paint into the bolts the nuts the frame the bracket etc. Three bolts on each fender bracket (1925 and earlier) plus the headlamp post and usually no more problems. However many are required on the improved cars and headlamps I do not know.
Once painted over, the lock washers hardly show.
I did have one headlamp bucket where I determined that the loss of ground was between the post and the bucket themselves. I wound up brazing the bucket to the bracket post on the underside where it could not be seen.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration