"Bright Bumper", where can I get one?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: "Bright Bumper", where can I get one?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

I need one of these for my Model T, dose anyone have more information about the "Bright Bumper"?

Happy motoring,

Warren

"Bright Bumper"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Warren,
The woman doesn't go with it. Anyway, by now she would be about 100 years old!:-) I wonder if the lights really help?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Okay Norm, maybe I am a little late for that accessory. These looks like they would improve any Model T Ford, just sayin'.

Happy motoring,

Warren

What about these accessories:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 02:22 am:

What the hell did they do that top??? Looks like somebody went at it with a ball peen hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 08:30 am:

I still think the "Bright Bumper" is a great idea and would like more information about it, if anyone has some.

Martin, did you notice the hood, front fender and wheel? What is going on there?

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Top pic is a 28 Buick. Third one is a 29 or 30. Hope they took off the radiator mascot or that girl's gonna need some work on her bottom end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:15 am:

The right front wheel doesn't look all that great either, Martin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Erik is more knowledgeable about Buicks than anyone I've ever met. The differences between the '29 and '30 are slight. Most obvious are the bumpers and radiator shell.

They have taken the bumper off and desicrated this car with the Bright Bumper, and obscured (improved?) the radiator shell in that photo.

I have spent 6 years restoring a 1929 Buick to just about factory perfect so am able to pin this one down to '29. In fact it's a 29-44, large series roadster. Mine was a 29-26S sport coupe with a rumble seat and golf door, but may favorite was the large series touring.

There is enough of the shell showing under the woman's legs to pin it as a '29. There were two radiator caps for that car, one was a mascot (mercury boy) and the other one was the stock low button style you don't see in the photo. You know this car has the stock cap because the woman is smiling!

The 1929 had a beautiful defining three-bar bumper, only the exports has the two-bar. The 1930 had a two-bar bumper.

1930-44:

1929-44:

standard cap:

Mercury boy mascot:

The piece-de-resistance is the pot metal/chrome radiator badge visible next to the headlight... pure 1929. By 1930 it moved to a headlight bar.

My 29-26S was my first antique car... still have quite a soft spot for that particular year Buick!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 08:31 am:

The Bright Bumper – 1926 Patent and Further Details Discovered

February 4, 2016

1929 Packard Bumper with Driving Lights

In the recent article: A Pretty Woman – A 1929 Buick Roadster – A Bumper Mystery a great deal was learned about this bumper and lamp combo. Since then reader Tin Indian has uncovered more information that follows, along with the patent for the Combined Bumper and Headlight. Today, it is quite rare and a desirable accessory for classic cars built in the 1928-’31 period.

Albert W. Pattison of Scranton, Pennsylvania, was the inventor of the bumper, and filed a patent for it on August 20, 1925. Earlier on July 15, 1925, the Scranton Republican newspaper reported that Ada Bright and four other investors had filed the paperwork to incorporate The Bright Bumper Company. We assume that the bumper was named after Ada.

The lead photo shows the “Packard Bright Bumper” in a 1929 “Packard Accessory Catalog” courtesy of West Peterson.

Bright Bar Bumper Patent

Patent application drawings for the Combined Bumper and Headlight granted to Albert W. Pattison on September 28, 1926, shows the details of the construction of the combined bumper and lamp unit.

Bright Bar Patent2

On June 10, 1926, New Castle News published in New Castle, PA, reported that after the Pennsylvania State Highway Department had endorsed the device, The Bright Bumper Company had leased a portion of an old knitting mill… (in New Castle)…. to turn out the bumpers. The endorsement followed a special trip by the inventor Albert W. Pattison, who made a special trip to Harrisburg to demonstrate the ‘Bright Bumper’ to Highway Department officials.

The New Castle News reported on October 15, 1926, that a new industry is in operation here although the Auto Bumper Company production can not as of yet meet the demand for over 8,000 bumpers that had been placed….the material used in the bumper is malleable iron….the bumper is offered in a nickel-plated finish along with a black enameled version….the bumper carries a strong appeal to the motorist as it cuts beneath fog….. it is of interest of drivers, who are compelled to drive through curtains of darkness and fog-the bugaboo of drivers.

Further research here has turned up an article that points to the possibility that The Bright Bumper Company might have been unable to get the production facility up-to-speed, sold the design and patent or contracted the manufacturing out to the Warren Tool and Forge Co., of Warren, Ohio. Automotive Industries reported eight months after the New Castle News report above on June 18, 1927, that Warren Tool had introduced the ‘Bright Bumper’ and the ‘Bright Tubular Bumperettes’ that harmonize with the front bumper are provided. The 1929 Buick featured in the earlier post may have been fitted with these rear Bumperettes.

“Automotive Industries” June 18, 1927.

Bright Bumper Article

Warren Tool and Forge Co. advertisement in the “Motor” September 1927 issue, was the first of ads found in a number of different auto trade publications over a twelve month period.

Bright Bumpers
This entry was posted in Auto photos 1921 - 1942 and tagged Bumper With Driving Lights, Bumperettes, New Castle PA, The Bright Bumper, Warren Ohio.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

this would be a neat way to add turn signals to your car; although I do see they would make a fantastic fog light too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

David, I agree with you completely and would like to purchase one of these bumpers if I could find one for sale. I have tried to find out if the company is still in business, but so far have had no luck.
I will keep tiring though.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Don't keep trying so much that you get TOO tired though!

Sorry Warren H, I couldn't help myself.:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration