Early 1926 headlamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Early 1926 headlamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

The July 1, 1927 Wholesale price list of parts lists a 6501ARX and a 6501CRX as a headlight assembly for 1926. They are both right side. Does anyone know the difference between these headlight assemblies?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Overseas parts books show,
early 26 light 6501ARX does both sides by changing position of door and the 6501CRX is assembly with nickel-plated rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 07:26 am:

There is a pair that mounted right to the fenders, then a bar was added between the posts of these to support the fenders, then the bar moved to mount below these, then the lights were moved to mount to a headlamp bar.

I'm assuming the lights are fender mounted or bar mounted....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Arnie, I don't know if we have talked about this before, but some 26 headlight are rights and lefts, some are ambidextrous. The difference is the rights and lefts have one water drain hole and the other kind has two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

For Arnie,

I believe the one verses two drain hole situation is discussed at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/376847.html difference in drain hole locations and then some had two drain holes so they worked on either side.

For Mark -- please see the discussion at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/607721.html where Dan Treace makes a convincing argument that all the tie bars are accessory tie bars that are used with the 1926 stalk mounted headlamp that attaches to the fender.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

I believe that by the July 1,1927 parts list, Ford already had one headlight for the early 1926 design. It states in that parts list for the 6501 which is a right side headlamp; "Used as left hand lamp by changing position of door"!

Tom, that would imply that Ford had a two drain holes in the same headlight, so it could be used for either side. Perhaps a search of parts lists could determine when this took place, and we could get a better handle on when the two drain holes were added to the one headlight! Of course another way if someone is near the BFRL, it could be looked up in the record of change cards or the drawings themselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

OK, drain holes?
I have both 26 and 27 T's + veterans, no drain holes that I can see, the lowest point of the light tub is one of the rim slots at 6 o'clock, why would you need drain holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

I've never seen one without at least one drain hole. They are near the rim. The holes are to let water out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Tom, I just double checked after reading the early thread on the location of the hole, still no drain holes on any of them, mine are Canadian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Frank, the drain holes are placed in the spring groove and very small. Problem is the spring covers them almost completely, so they can't be effective?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Roger, just removed the spring clip on the 26, still no hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Guess it's one more difference in Canadian production :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:05 am:

Perhaps painted shut?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:40 am:

I wondered about the early 26 stem mounted lights. What I noticed is, if you mount the light on the left side it swings the socket focus screw and contacts out of wack. The bulb filament is no longer on a horizontal plane on the left (drivers) side. The 1928 parts book only shows the one light with notation but that would be for in service replacement. Does the 1926 parts book show the same thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:42 am:

Re "6501ARX and a 6501CRX" I think one is equipped with bulb for battery and the other one a magneto bulb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 01:29 am:

Looking at the 1928 parts book, it does not even list bulb sockets for 26 or 27 only 1915 to 1925. Were there a left and right bulb socket for the early lamps? The later lights that did mount to the cross bar would have the adjustment screws in line mounted on left or right side like the 25 and earlier lamps. If you look in Bruce's book there is a good photo of the 26 lamps, the focus screw is on the high side over center on one side and under center on the other. Drawing a diagram of both sides using the same socket in both does change the focus of the lamps.

(Message edited by redmodelt on January 30, 2016)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration