26-27 wire wheel lug wrench

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 26-27 wire wheel lug wrench
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

What does the lug wrench for the 26-27 Ford Model T wire wheels look like? Does it have the "Ford" logo? Is it the same as a Model A lug wrench?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

I bought an extra ratchet, extension, and small socket set for my T tool bag. I'd be really interested to see what the lug wrench (if there is one?) looks like cause I prefer to use the cooler original tools when I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Ford 5-Z-2038

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

Wayne
Jack Daron told me the correct tool for Improved Ford wire wheels lug nuts is T-2839.
Jack also said there are other 5-Z- wrenches that are similar in shape with the same nut size that are commonly called the lug nut wrench, but they are not the one Ford intended to be used on Model T wire wheel lug nuts.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

...And of course Jack is right. I should have checked the number before posting. I am glad Ron posted and corrected me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

I think the 5Z-160 is same size,but it was made for tightening body bolts. If you find one with 5Z-2039R ,it is a reissue with heavier side walls. Seems some of them had a tendency to crack. I have both versions in my collection.The Ford script can be length wise or crosswise also. I keep finding differences in a lot of tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

I made a mistake,The numbers should be T-2039 and T-2039R. The tool Paul shows is a Model A tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

I made a mistake,The numbers should be T-2039 and T-2039R. The tool Paul shows is a Model A tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 02:01 am:

Thanks to everyone for the information and photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 02:03 am:

Actually, there are two different "T-shaped" lug wrenches for the 1926-27 wire wheels. If you look in Bruce's big black book on page 594, part #2891, you will see that originally in 1926, 5-Z-161 was to be used. Later, in 1927, factory #2839 must have been designed, which has a shorter shaft. Both wrenches have a 10 inch crossbar. The first is marked "Ford 5-Z-161" and has a shaft 11 inches long. The second one is marked "Ford T-2839", or "Ford T-2839-R". This has a shaft 8-1/2 inches long. See the difference in the photos. I keep the shorter wrench under the back seat in my touring.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration