Old Photo - Making repairs in Boyd's yard

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Making repairs in Boyd's yard
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Making repairs in Boyd's yard, 20th April 1918:

ee

The T couldn't have been so old, a '17 or '18.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:02 am:

Great pic Roger, Love it!...Thanks for posting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:09 am:

Note the driver's side door - I can see the hinges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Nice photo, Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 10:17 am:

I like that steering wheel. It looks a little extra thick. Maybe it's wrapped with cord?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

I agree with the drivers door hinges. Notice the overflow on the radiator, much lower than usual. Loving Hands of Home?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Ok. So it's likely a Canadian car, then. Since it looks a little faded already by the spring of 1918, it may be an early '17 - then maybe it had the short lived fan shroud from the beginning?

Since the guys were doing some work on the car with the hood off that day, then maybe it was the fan shroud that caused trouble when adjusting the fan belt and was removed right before the picture was taken?
The deformation of the overflow tube may have happened while the fan shroud was wrestled off..?

It's easy to start speculating over an old picture from the past.. :-)

fan shroud
Early 1917 with fan shroud. Picture by Dave Huson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

As soon as I saw the houses, I said "Toronto". So many houses that style there. The car is Canadian for sure and the licence plate looks to be a late teens Ontario style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Even at this angle, the front tire appears to be 30 x 3.5 - another clue that it is a Canadian car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

I just checked my Ontario licence plate samples and found something interesting. The licence plate is a 1916. I can now see that the car is an early 1917. The plate might mean the photo was taken in late 1916. The guys are dressed for cool weather and there are no leaves on the trees. It could also be a later year and the plates were not renewed as there were repairs to do first.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration