Model T electrical system

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T electrical system
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:47 am:

Is a 1927 model T positive or negitive ground ...Thanks for any help .. JOE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:56 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:58 am:

Model A is positive ground, Model T is always negative ground. I always remember it as opposite of my Model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:18 am:

It seems to me that Ford stayed with positive ground until quite some time after the A. I think Chrysler used positive ground until the end of 6 volts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:28 am:

The best advice I can offer, is replace every wire in your car with a new loom, including the battery cables. You will have no problems after doing that. I had to have my looms custom made from known originals, because the show quality reproductions were not made correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Well the generator could have been reverse polarized at some point in its 89 years to be positive ground. Meaning that it may have polarity reversed.

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/polarity.html
CHANGING THE POLARITY OF THE GENERATOR (When changing to Negative Ground)

Oh, this information is from a Sunbeam Group. FYI the Sunbeam Tiger was fitted with a Ford 260 V8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Wow! I don't mean to start thread drift but the answers to the OP's question are all over the place. :-)

Model T is negative ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

After the first response answers the question, it's OK to drift in with related comments. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Model T folks tend to be very drifty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Blame it (drifting) on play in the steering gearbox.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

David - I guess a lot of us folks "out west" here are known as drifters!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

Ford went back to negative ground in 1956.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

When cars went to 12 volt they all went to negative ground.there were exceptions, the British stayed with positive ground 12 volt until they got alternators in 1968.
That was part of the SAE and safety thing.
In 1968 the worlds cars were all 12 volt, negative ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

When cars went to 12 volt they all went to negative ground.there were exceptions, the British stayed with positive ground 12 volt until they got alternators in 1968.
That was part of the SAE and safety thing.
In 1968 the worlds cars were all 12 volt, negative ground.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration