Old Photo - Posing In An Early Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Posing In An Early Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

I bet that is an S Roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

I bet he once spoke a word that starts with "S" looking at that right front fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

I bet you could warm your hands on that searchlight in the winter and roast weenies on it in the summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Jay -- thank you for posting the photo.

Herb - you are correct it is a Ford Model S Roadster. That was the only N,R,S, or SR that had the rounded metal cowl. Most of the S Roadsters were produced in 1908 but there were a few stragglers assembled in 1909.

Anyone recognize what year the Mich license plate is? I'll try to look it up later, but if someone knows please let us know. If it is a 1908 or 1909 then the car is still relatively new. Or if it is 1915 or so -- it could have easily been repainted. But it looks like the wheels are a lighter color than the body and fenders. One item I've been trying to document for some time is what paint schemes did the N,R,S, and SR come from the factory with.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Probably kicked by a horse!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

It looks like the top is set for max cooling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

Here is a shipment with at least two other Cyclops equipped Model S roadsters:

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Jay, and Keith, thank you for the great photos of Model S.

I think the Model S Roadster is truly the "missing link" between the pre-T and Model T. If you follow the 1908 Ford FY audit, the Model S Roadster sold in tremendous numbers (primarily after March 1908), and generated $100 dollars more profit per car than the $600 Model N. I suspect this success helped Henry Ford and James Couzens move full bore toward T production:

This was Ford's second million dollar plus profit year. In June 1908 Ford announced they would cease production of all models except Model S and Model K Roadsters as they ramped up for Model T production. When looking at the profit per car of these two models it's easy to see how they came to that decision:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

The Michigan plate seems to be a 1911.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 01:30 am:

A wonderful photo and great information.
Thanks all!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Keith,

Thank you for posting that photo. I only have a cropped version. Looks like a Prest-O-Lite tank on the second car with the gas light.

The single headlight was essentially a motorcycle setup that could be run off the small Prest-O-Lite tanks, "E", "MC" or small carbide generator.

I have a Victor that size (six inch) on my running board that I use at night without my John Brown 16's lit. The single Victor is adequate most of the time and only uses half the gas.

The bonnet doesn't get very hot but I have used it as a little hand warmer.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Why did folks like flipping the steering wheel over? I tried it once just to experience it and had a hard time reaching the levers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration