Front shell 1926-27

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front shell 1926-27
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 02:20 am:

Were all the cars 1926 and 1927 shells nickel plated? And were any 1925 car shells plated?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 02:36 am:

It varied over the world, but in USA I think only the closed cars got nickeled brass shells in 26/27, while the open cars and the trucks got the painted steel shells like in 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 03:05 am:

I understand that it was optional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell R. on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 06:44 am:

Who offers the best repro shell with apron, as I am in the market for a plated one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 06:53 am:

If there are any repros to be found, they're aimed at the hot rod crowd that won't have any demands on how it should fit an original radiator, so your best bet is to try finding an original, repair the inevitable cracks in the thin brass and have it nickle plated..

The Sports package for the open cars included a nickeled shell:

nn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Nickeled radiator shells and headlight rings became available as an option beginning in June of 1925. So a few late 25's came with them. They may have been a dealer-installed option rather than an assembly plant thing; I don't know about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 10:16 am:

I even saw an original '25 apron for the nickel shell once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

This is an original nickel plated apron for the 1925 Model T to be used with the matching radiator shell. Being nickeled steel, I don't think too many survived. It is the only one that I have ever found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

-Jim-
Am curious if you know the difference of the model years on the three aprons in your last photo? (I'm watching the swap meets for my '25.)
Thanks, MaRV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Jim,I have an apron with side tabs on it. It would be a bear to attach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

The three aprons are all original Ford. They are all the same length, but the camera angle makes them look shorter further back.
The bottom apron is the 1925 nickel plated steel, part #T-3977B, that listed for $.75, according to factory letters April 29 & 30, 1925.(See page 566 in Bruce's big black book.)
The top apron is a typical 1926-27 apron with the nickel trim strip that is used with the nickel plated radiator shell. This one is missing the spacer cup behind the crank hole.
The middle apron is the same as a typical 1924-25 apron, except it has the hole below the crank hole for fastening it to a 1926-27 front spring clamp/engine mount. This apron appears to be NOS original Ford. This one is a mystery to me. There is another apron just like it on page 331 in Bruce's big black book. He mistakenly called it a 1926-27 apron, unless they are used on 1926-27 TT trucks. Or, were they made for very late 1925 models that started using the front 1926 style spring clamp/engine mount? Here are more photos of the aprons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

My car had this nickel plated steel apron on it when I got it.

I always assumed that someone had plated it so I did a quick paint-over to give it the typical factory look. The plating was peeling especially at the edges.

It does not have the spacer thimble behind the crank hole and doesn't look as though it ever did. The ears have been welded to it and one is broken off in the pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

In June 1925 a Service Bulletin listed the nickel plated radiator apron available for 75 cents. Part number was T 8016. I cannot find this number in the Price List of Parts edited in 1928.

It sure sounds like this apron was completely plated. The apron on my car probably wasn't nickel plated originally - it has the slots in it to mount the nickel strip (part number 3977-D).

Jim, that is an interesting piece you have there. Glad you posted it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 10:58 am:

It isn't the apron that was nickel plated. It was the beaded strip that attached to the top of the apron with tabs. They made those for 1925's too, and are quite rare. I've only seen two of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

Larry, the entire apron is nickel plated on the 1925 accessory apron, part # T-3977B. The factory # is 8016. The description in the factory letter dated April 30, 1925 is "nickel plated", like the radiator shell and headlight rims.
Also, the August 1, 1925 Ford Price List of Parts for Owners, shows it as being "nickel" at $,75. The standard painted apron is only $.35, for comparison.
Larry, I wonder if what you saw was a 1924-25 apron that somebody put a 1926-27 nickel trim strip on? All it takes is 3 little slots.
, and it would crimp on perfectly. Even the hole for the choke wire lines up.
I believe this is the 1925 nickel plated apron, part # T-3977B

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration