Old Photo - Ford Motor Car Co. Locomotive Built 01/18/1913

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Ford Motor Car Co. Locomotive Built 01/18/1913
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 11:30 am:

36 gauge ~ 10" x 10" cylinders ~ 29" drivers ~ 36 tons ~ 2 trucks

The locomotive operated near the company's L’Anse, Michigan location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 11:32 am:

I didn't know that Ford built anything that big!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 11:41 am:

Looks like a Shay, but where are the cylinders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 11:58 am:

So, if that's a 1913 Ford why isn't there a crank on the front of it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Almost as big as the Model K. !0)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Yes Ed, it is definitely a Shay...the drive gear is on the other side. This engine specifically has a whole lot to do with Ford because when Ford sent an engine to Fordlandia in South America, it was this exact engine.

It is Lima built engine plate #2640, built originally for the Marshall Butters Lumber Company.

Provenance...

Marshall Butters Lumber Co. #2, L'Anse, MI

Stearns & Culver Lumber Co. #2, L'Anse, MI

Ford Motor Car Co (c1924). #2, L'Anse, MI; For:
Michigan Iron, Land & Lumber Co. #2, Iron Mountain, MI

Converted to Std. gauge at the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton shops

Rebuilt with boiler centered, frame widened
(1928) for Companhia Ford Industries de Brazil #CFI later #21, Para, Brazil

Converted to meter gauge, non-powered tender added.

Southern Brazil Lumber Co., San Paulo, Brazil

(1940) donated to: Brazilian Government, National Railway Department, Sorocaba, Brazil

(3-1946) In shops at Sorocaba, Brazil

(c1949) Scrapped behind shops at Sorocaba, Brazil

Sorry for the small grainy photo of the drive side, as the original is a small magazine print to begin with...but the pic shows what the drive side looked like at the time it went to Brazil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

I've never seen a Shay with those fancy "gear guards"

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

I've not seen that treatment to the Shay trucks before either. Note the covers are on both sides. Also the side steps on the pilot are unique. The top photo looks like the boiler is already centered. Shame it got scrapped, as it looks like it was pretty unique.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

Far out!! While people are thinking Ford Railroad,i wonder what ever happened with Henry's private car?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Bud,

If you mean the Fair Lane, it is in the Henry Ford Museum at the Edison Institute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

Thomas,Yes i think that is it.Years ago i saw it outside and it was going to be restored.Can people go through it to see it now?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

The "Fair Lane."
http://collections.thehenryford.org/Collection.aspx?objectKey=96492

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 07:26 am:

No idea ford did any trains. Cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Tim, Henry loved trains. He bought the DT&I line in 1920, which ran from Dearborn to Ironton, Ohio in order to have better control and efficiency of transporting raw material to and from Dearborn. This line also connected with east-west rail lines which no doubt assisted in much cheaper movement of goods to him. A good friend of ours happens to have a bell from one of Ford's locomotives in his garage. I'd love to acquire it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Tim L.

If you're thinking Ford built this locomotive, he/they did not. It was built by Lima, as mentioned above. If I misunderstood your comment, then I apologize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

Although, The Rouge shops did build two or three wood passenger cars in 1925-28 along the lines of the Bangor and Aroostook car now in the museum. I understand the other cars are stored away.

B and A coach

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration