Clutch disc question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clutch disc question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

I am redoing a transmission for a friend and found that his clutch discs look like they got very hot at some point as you can see from the picture. They are very discolored but are flat, have no cracks or worn ends and seem otherwise to be OK. I would normally look for better clutch discs but I drove the car before we pulled the engine and it seemed to be fine. Can I use them or do we need to find replacements?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Speaking for myself, I would use them. I think you will find most used disk will have some type of heat bluing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

Val, they're perfectly fine to use. Don't worry about the discoloration.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Look normal to me. If they are flat and not scored put them bac in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Being they are fine other than a little heat build up, I would only suggest a light cleaning with a 3M Roloc medium conditioning disc to give it a fresh surface for the new friction material. The key is to make light passes and keep it moving as they will remove a lot of material fast if you are not careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

Every transmission I have torn down (4) the disk have been hot. I just check for cracks, chipped ears and flat. I yet to have any issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

Thanks all. I guess I have been lucky with the transmissions I have done before because none of them were as discolored as these are. I will clean them up a bit and use them again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, January 29, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Put more burned looking ones in my last tranny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Here are some examples of discs being retired to the wall. They have been cleaned, this was what was left. If you zoom maybe you can see the scoring a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

I have a hundred or more of these discs and I think most of them look a little blue. If anyone needs any, they are yours for the cost of shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

The one on the left is for a drum with shoes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Most of the ones I have used over the years were a little blue. I did have a few some years ago that I refused to use because there was further damage from heat. Usually (given a little more time being run), severely over-heated discs will crack. That particular transmission, I threw about half the discs away.

Hal, I actually could use a few better discs than I have, although I have enough if I use some that do not look really nice. If somebody else needs what you have? Give it to them. Otherwise, I can work it out with you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration