Head bolt torque setting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Head bolt torque setting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 03:44 am:

Does anyone know the torque setting for the head bolts on a 1927 T stock head..... Thanks for any help ... Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 06:14 am:

Use Google and search for "MTFCA Head Bolt Torque".
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/117016.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 08:22 am:

Joe there were never any torque specs from Ford when the Model T was being produced. The generally accepted value right now is 50 ft-lbs. Some folks go a little higher like 55 and some a little lower like 45.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 09:12 am:

After you torque it, run the engine to warm up, then re-torque. You'll see that it's backed down to about 35 ft-lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

When replacing a head gasket I always chase the head bolt threads, blow them out, then use a little anti-seize compound on the bolts. I prefer the copper gasket coated with a copper gasket sealant. Make sure the head gasket is oriented correctly, then I torque the bolt down in the recommended pattern 10 ft/lbs at a time until I get to 50 ft/lbs. Go through at least four heat up cycles and re-torque when the engine is HOT (regular operating temp). With aluminum heads the procedure is a little different as they should be re-torqued when cold). Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Agree with Kev right up to the re-torque when hot line. Have always run it, let it cool overnight then a cold re-torque. This is on standard heads. Comments?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration