New guy question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New guy question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 06:57 am:

I bought a T yesterday. Starts right up but the only wiring in the car is a toggle switch, to the starter and the coil box to the toggle. No light wiring no anything. Just wonder it started right up and ran great. The new guy question is it has a 12v battery in it and it was low so I unhooked the cables and charged it last night. Will it hurt the coils at this phase so start and move it in and out of the garage like that?? I don't assume it would but want to make sure?? I am gonna order some parts today or Monday for it starting with all of the correct wiring. I need your advice. Thanks in advance...Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 07:00 am:

Sorry it's a 26 car if that matters. Oh and I have a good original switch for the dash, so when the wiring arrives I can use the old switch and new wiring and block. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 07:45 am:

Nice car Tim! You are asking a lot of questions. The short answer is that if your car has been modified to run on 12 volts, then there is no problem. Here is a thread of my 12 volt conversion. The coils will run fine on 12v.

I would highly recommend joining a local Model T Club. The local guys will be of great help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 07:48 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/600396.html?1452479435

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 11:41 am:

The 12 volts will not hurt the coils. If all the lights have been changed to 12 volts, they will work fine. However unless the starter has been rewired for 12 volts, you will have earlier failure of the starter bendix.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 07:03 am:

Norman, thanks I appreciate the the information. I have a list of things to order Monday and new bulbs are on the list. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 09:04 am:

What you mustn't do is run the generator without a battery connected. It will cook itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 09:54 am:

It won't hurt the coils to RUN on 12 volts. However, do not let a single coil buzz for more than a few seconds at a time on 12 volts or it will overheat. I don't have a definite time to tell you. I don't think 10-15 seconds would hurt, but I would not let it go for a minute. In other words, if it cranks up easily, no problem. If it becomes hard to start, don't go running off to the tool box and leave a coil buzzing.

Some say they don't have bendix problems on 12 volt. I've never done it on a T. However, we have a Farmall H that was on 12 volt when we got it. It busted 2 armature bearing plates before we had the starter "modified" for 12 volts. (I voted for swapping to 6 volts, but the tractor is my wife's and she took the advice of others).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration