Old Photo - Brass Ea - Autumn Drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Brass Ea - Autumn Drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 10:26 am:

A self commencer on the front?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 10:28 am:

It is a 1915 model year car. Has billed front fenders, and the cowl lamps with integral brackets. Great photo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Another interesting thing on this car, is it shows the knurled dust cover on the valve stem. If anyone has any ideas on that wheel thing on the crank, let us know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 10:51 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/399655.html?1383837232

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 10:52 am:

Sambo or similar self-starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Mark's quicker than me !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

Cherry wood dash and straight out rear fenders so why is it a 15?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 01:15 am:

Cosz the number plate sez-so!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 01:20 am:

Late14's had those fenders

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 02:32 am:

Only the very late '14s and the carry-over '14 style tourings and runabouts used that style side-lamp with the riveted on brackets. They were manufactured that way as late as probably April 1915 while so-called '15 style cars started out in small numbers only. '15 style runabouts began in December '14, tourings in January '15.
I don't think exact numbers still exist, however, probably almost as many '14 style tourings were built during model year '15 as '15 style tourings were built during model year '15. Runabouts sold in smaller numbers than touring cars, and had a few less production problems and delays. So production levels were off probably less for them. However the '14 style was continued well into the '15 model year. Although maybe not clear through March?
The odds are, that car was built and sold during the '15 model year, and originally licensed as a '15 (if its state recorded that detail, some did, some did not).
For what it is worth, my '15 runabout is the '15 style with a body date coded by the manufacturer as February '15. I figure the car is a "spring '15 build car".
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joerg Walther - FarFarAway (Germany) on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 07:39 am:

Just a silly question from a non weather-proof guy: most of the old pictures show them driving with the windshield folded down.
I always asked myself 'WHY?'
Even in summer I do not feel the slightest whish to drive without a 'full protection' of the windshield so my face won't meet every bug crossing the way.
So what's the secret ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 08:12 am:

The roads were so bad back in those days so mostly they drove much slower than we do today, like 20-25 mph. It was still faster than sitting behind a horse :-)

I haven't got any windshield on my pickup and I drive fast, so I have to use motorcycle goggles when I'm not driving through town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 08:24 am:

I noticed the position of the windshield and suspect it was pulled down for the photograph.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 09:28 am:

I have a '13 and always drive with the windshield down, even this time of year if the roads are dry and salt-free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 09:43 am:

I'm with Gil on this as I often have the windshield down on my '14. I like the breeze, and the car goes faster (wink and a grin). Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Let's take this a step further for fun. Running? Not running? Gas lever up. Spark may not be fully up.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 11:20 am:

I can't even see the wheel, let alone the itty-bitty levers, for all the tree branch reflections in the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 11:56 am:

When we drive our 14 touring my wife likes the top and windshield up. I like to drive any speed with both down unless raining. It is her T so every know and then I let her have her way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Seems that there are more brass era cars with electric light conversions back in those days than actual cars with the gas hardware still intact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

James, One word "Edison"

http://genius.com/The-bee-gees-edison-lyrics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

The fender bracket has four rivets as per a '14 where as a '15 has three rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Many early '15 style cars also used the four rivet fenders in front. I have yet to see anything definitive for when the three rivet front fenders first showed up. But numerous surviving cars suggest that the four rivet fenders kept showing up on '15 style Ts as late as April of '15. A close friend used to have a June '15 touring with a known history back to new with one front fender of each type. There used to be a lot of surviving cars with one of each. Most of them have sadly been "corrected" since, destroying a lot of empirical evidence. His car, like so many, can be believed the fenders were unchanged. But you can never really know for certain.
If I had the four rivet fenders (or could get some decent ones cheap), I would put them on my April '15 runabout. But either type should be correct for it, and I have a nice set of original three rivet fenders.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

The four rivet billed fenders were only used in the 1915 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

You guys remind me of this photo:

Nevermind the 1000 hour stone fence, nevermind the canopied and peaceful roadway scene.
Nah, .... let's talk about the same old rivets and creases we talk about ad nauseum ! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration