Horn Button Wire Connection

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Horn Button Wire Connection
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

My '23 has the steering column-mounted horn button. The horn didn't work, so I took the button apart and found one of the wires was off. Should the wires have soldered connectors there?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

No room. The wire is just wrapped around the screw clockwise. While some may suggest soldering the wire, I think it should just be just twisted together so it does not fray and bent in a "U" around the screw so it compacts when the screw is tight. Don't leave a long tail, just enough to be under the screw head when bent in the "U" shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

I make it into a U, then solder it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

I'm with Royce, do this quite a bit with stranded wire--sometimes I solder it first, then bend the U. I believe this makes a stronger connection (electrically & physically).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Just in case it might not be obvious the soldering is done to the wire alone before you bend it or afterward but for sure before you then connect it to the button and tighten down the screw against the soldered wire. Ford often made electrical connections by baring a length at the end of a stranded wire and then forming the wire into a round loop such that the inside of the round loop was the diameter of the screw that passed through it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 12:12 am:

John,
Good explanation! Exactly what I was trying to say!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration