Clutch Pedal Shaft Boss

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clutch Pedal Shaft Boss
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

There is a lot of play between the clutch pedal shaft and its boss. The shaft is .003 under and the boss bore is .004 over, for a total of .007 play. Doesn't sound like much, but it is very noticeable, in feel and in loudness. I know I can replace the shaft, but that only solves half the problem. There is no bushing in the boss, and it is cast-in on the hogshead, so no replacement. So am I just stuck with the .004 play in the boss, or are there any tricks to tighten this all the way up (oversize shafts, brazing and re-boring, divine intervention, etc.)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Not a problem. If you replace the shaft it will be less clearance. Only potential problem might be an oil leak. Some have fixed that leak by using an O ring. A more likely source of a problem in shifting would be the link between the clutch lever and the pedal. In your picture it is quite worn. You can purchase a new link through the vendors and you can also weld up the hole in the pedal and re-drill it to fit.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

I have used over sized shafts or bushings as needed. If you use the over sized shaft you will need to open the cam and pedal holes just a little. They should make an over sized stepped shaft for us guys without a lathe so we don't have to ream out the pedal and cam. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

Just need to ream it out and install a bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

Sounds like a bushing is the way to go. Thanks, guys.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration