26 Tudor Body Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 26 Tudor Body Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

I am progressing nicely on my Tudor restore. Most of the mechanical work is completed. Now for the body work. After dealing with rust on the inside of the body, I ended up with about a dozen or so pin holes on the bottom rear of the body, way down low. What do I do with that problem? From the photos, you can see two dash panels. The black one you will notice has been cut out so someone could put in an older rectangle shaped ignition switch. To get that out I had to take off the top panel above the windshield which required grinding off the rivets on the corners. You can see that in the photos. After installing the dash and upper panel, how do I rivet back the top corners? After applying POR 15 metal prep and a good heathy coat of POR 15 rust preventative, can I bondo over the POR 15 coat? Do I need to surface sand the POR 15 coat before I spray the body with primer and then the top coat of finish paint? Please take a good look at the photos and you will understand what I'm asking. Thanks for your help. OPPS. all my photos are too large. I will try to reduce the size and upload them later.Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

Rand,
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest, IF you only have about a dozen pin hole (like more are on their way unless you've treated the backside of the panel to derust it) and you can get to the backside, and the rust there is removed or stabilized, then I would be tempted to mix up some J-B weld and slather the backside of the panel with it, you may want to put some masking tape on the outside over the holes to keep the J-B from oozing through. Let it set up for a day or two, then I would seal the J-B weld with an epoxy primer & some finish coat to prevent it from attracting moisture.
As to the POR 15, I don't know, read the instructions! (I, know, not a 'guy' thing to do!)
Now others may tell you this is a TERRIBLE idea, so keep that in mind; I just wouldn't want to weld in a patch panel IF there are only that few holes.
BTW, I once fiber glassed, with cloth, the backside of the quarter panels on a '46 Ch**y coupe that had pin holes all along where the belt molding stainless trim was, and AFAIK the car is still doing fine, and that was 38 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

There are much better body fillers than JBWeld for this application. Explore what is available at auto paint supplier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell R. on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

What happened to the pictures you mention...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Hmm, I need to be clear that I'm not suggesting the JB for a body filler, but for a "behind the panel" patch as opposed to welding in a new piece of metal. Once it's applied, I would recommend high quality body fillers on the outside surface.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration