Original finish on flip top oilers?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Original finish on flip top oilers?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

The flip top oilers I received from a vendor appear to be zinc plated.

An original oiler I have appears to be zinc plated on the lower part where it is pressed in and the upper "lid" is dark, either painted or black japan finish.

Can anyone verify the original finish of this part?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

And for that matter, how about the grease cups on the U-joint, drive shaft, rear wheel bearings? Mine are not painted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Eric, I can't speak for the oilers but, the original grease cups on my 1919 appear to be nickel plated brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

The flip top oilers were originally nickel plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Were steel grease cups plated or painted? The ones on my car (27 Roadster) are plain steel with no coating and I see a lot are painted black on other cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

In a factory photo of early '26 models, all the front axle oilers are black. They may have been nickel plated but they were painted black coming down the assembly line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 11:08 am:

First of all, I've never seen a nickel plated oiler for a Ford. I put NOS oilers on my '25 a few years back, the big ones and little ones, and they all appeared to be zinc plated. All of them came out of Bob Bergstadts stock from years past.
The grease cups I've seen appear never to have been painted, but probably did when they painted the chassis. I've had all kinds of NOS grease cups over the years, and they were un-painted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

I can't imagine that ford would have left the oil caps and grease cups off during the painting process because the holes would have been closed with paint. From what I've read ford wanted to skimp on time and cost everywhere they could.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration