Old Photo - Brass Era - Hold Onto Your Hats!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Brass Era - Hold Onto Your Hats!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 09:25 am:

Cropped with enhanced brightness and contrast.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Shouldn't that windshield support rod be on the inside?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Looks like a 1912, so the support rods should be longer and fasten besides the head lights - but maybe someone wanted to modernize his last years Ford to look like the new '13:s :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 11:07 am:

1913 windshield on a late '12 body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 11:13 am:

With that windshield rig, if he wants to remove his detachable fore-doors, he has to take off the windshield, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Notice that the second car also has a slant windshield but the radius rods go to the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

The back one appears to have large reflectors, are they electric?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

Are my eyes deceiving me, or does it have chains on the rear wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Yes, Roar - chains and lots of mud.
No thread on the tires back then, so some extra traction may have been needed in summertime too depending on road conditions..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 08:08 am:

Tony -- yes the back car appears to have headlamps that have been converted to electric.

All --

Note, the car's body is a slab sided 1912. And from Bruce's information the rear outside door handle on a slab sided 1912 was initially used after the 1911 style bodies were done away with (there probably would have been some overlap). On page 129 of his book "Model T Ford" Bruce states, "Initial production 1912 bodies had rear doors with outside door handles, with a mechanism similar to the 1911 and earlier cars…." And then he states, “Later production eliminated the outside door handle and used a lever on the inside of the door to operate the latch mechanism…”

"IF" it had been the slab side body without a door handle on the outside i.e. a late 1912, I would have wondered if it might be a transition model. I.e. where Ford introduced the newer windshield before the older body supply was exhausted. But because it is has the door handle on the outside and if Bruce's information is correct, then I would think it was more likely someone updated their car to look more modern. Of course we still have so much to learn about the 1912 year cars as well as the other year models.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 08:35 am:

My '12 has no rear door handles and the earlier windshield set up. It was an original unmolested car when found. Unfortunately, the previous owner restored it. Today that would not have happened.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration