OT Where my weekend went.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Where my weekend went.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

Thursday night, got Donnie's carb done and in the mail finally, got three others in the mail, answered some emails, made a few last minute calls and jumped in the Subaru to head for Nevada to the first weekend off I've had since September -- cowboy singing, whiskey drinking, cowgirl dancing National Cowboy Poetry Gathering, first time I've had time or money to go in several years.

Hit a big yearling calf Elk about 65 miles south of home. Time I got done with all of this I spent Friday at the chiropractor and buying a pickup to drive instead.

This is why I am a believer in Subaru even tho I was getting ready to sell this one, which is a 14 Outback with 62,000 on it. All the airbags went off, no damage behind the front doors, stayed upright and on the road, no broken glass, I have one little red bruise on the side of my face from the air bag, no other anything except a case of the "Bummed about the weekend" blues.

Have to see how the insurance plays out on this deal. Anyway, I will be driving my Ford Sport Trac to Chickasha. That's what I bought Friday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

Bungie cords, little duct tape and your back on the road. Glad you are ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

Since the first thing everybody asks is "How fast were you going when you hit it," the answer is "I dunno." I had slowed down to about 65 or 70 because there are always a bunch of Deer and Elk on this road. 70 is 120 feet a second. She popped up in front of me, I hit the brakes and hit her. So being old and slow my reaction time is probably pretty slow and usually they keep right on going across the road so.............. Second question is "How do you know it was an Elk." Here is something the city guys might not know. The hair is different on a Deer and an Elk and smells different. If you rub it between your fingers you can smell whether it is Deer or Elk hair. Especially the bucks. I would guess this calf weighed 250-300 lbs. It was, according to the tow truck driver, a coming yearling cow. That's what it looked like to me, just before the air bad went off in my face. I never saw it after that. The HP lady said they had 3 Elk hits Thursday and when she left she was going to work another one about 6 miles south while one of the other troopers was working one south of Ennis, about 50 miles away. That one had some injuries. She just wrote me a ticket for expired plates, gave me her phone number (maybe she's single, I dunno?? =) ) and said to call her if I needed anything or questions answered but she had to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

Mark, the preliminary estimate from the body shop is $14,000. I've have driven it but the radiator blew so no coolant. A Subaru engine is about 5 Grand!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

A darned shame...
bad things still happen to good people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

Scary stuff! Glad to see it didn't come through the windshield on you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Several years ago here two girls in a Subaru hit a horse. Killed them instantly. It went right under the horse.

The worst thing you can hit here is a Moose or a Horse because you can go right under it. A pig is also a bad deal, it will flip the car in the air.

This is no giant deal, I have Kemper/Trinity insurance. They will either fix this or buy me a new car. I'm just glad I wasn't hurt and didn't go off the road. There was an approach about 50 feet ahead in the ditch. Most people injured or killed in Deer hits are trying to avoid the Deer and lose control, go off the road, roll the vehicle or hit something other than the animal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Grandmaw was setting at the compueter yesterday and she asked me did you know the Antlope can jump higher than the avgerage house?? I said i did not know but it sounded true to me.Then the old gal said the avgerage house can't jump!! I think she is getting me sharpened up for April Fool's Day!! Glad your all right Stan!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Glad you're alright Stan. When they pop out of a ditch you really have no chance to avoid a hit.

I've found out from numerous animal hits that the worst thing you can do is swerve to try and avoid hitting something. You risk more damage from a rollover than from the possible hit. When I see critters on the road now I lay on the horn and aim right at them and haven't hit a single thing since probably about 1998. Dunno about Elk but deer are stupid as hell and know only one thing: they just have to get to the other side of the road .... and once they get there remember - they just have to get to the other side of the road, so expect them to turn and run back on you.

Again, glad you're fine Stan. That bumper just makes a handly place for a dozen beer!

Regards,
Garnet Moser

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

So glad that you are okay! Any of those long legged big bodied critters is a bad thing to hit. The biggest danger to you is that they go through the windshield (usually fatal to occupants of the front seat). Saddened about the special weekend, am sure the elk isn't happy either.
There is an elk herd South of Laytonville CA that I have driven by and seen many times. One night I got a good look at how large they can get. I was headed home to where we lived in Ferndale at that time, a little after midnight. As I headed into Laytonville, around a long curve, I saw three elk by the shoulder of the two-lane road (there was a street lamp nearby). I dropped my speed quickly, approached them slowly (about 20 mph), and saw that it was one huge bull elk and two cows. I was driving the '88 Ch##y 3/4 ton Suburban I had at that time. It must have been the season, and he was trying to impress the ladies, as he decided to dance with me. First he went to one side of the road, then the other, getting as close as could and trying to stare me down. I slowed down to barely a walking pace and eased by him. He was HUGE! I slowly brushed by him with him on my right side and could NOT see the top of his shoulder out the right side window in that big Suburban. I was looking out under his chest and belly!
It was an elk, but I did not know until that moment that elk could get that big! I was just glad that I knew the area, and saw him in time to brake heavily.
Be careful out there! I don't care how good a driver anyone is. Deer, elk, and even horses, can bolt out of the darkness so quick that it is impossible to see and avoid hitting them. Cows? There is no excuse. They move too slowly.
I also missed hitting a black bear on a dark night North of Laytonville once.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Stan, Glad you're ok.

Keep those cards, letters, and carbs coming... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Stan, glad to hear you're okay. What a frightening experience. Funny thing, I'm a die-hard "American built" auto person (if there's really such a thing as a true American built car anymore-you know what I mean), yet when a friend of mine asked what I would recommend for his daughters first car, I promptly blurted "Subaru"!! Second choice, and get this, a VW beetle! The daughter of our late friends girlfriend (this dude was 84 at the time!) had a BAD accident in hers, they shoveled it up in pieces, and she basically walked away with cuts and bruises. Yes, a week in the horsepital, but my point being, this was one "accident friendly" car. I saw pictures of it and I wouldn't have known what it was had I not already knew what she was driving.

Stay safe buddy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

Stan, thankful here that you are OK. Looks like you car held up pretty well considering the hit it took. Cars now days are built to crumple to absorb impact. Looks like it worked!

Not to make light of your experience in any way, but if you lived here in Tennessee, you could probably find someone to fix your car pretty cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Hey Stan,....just now reading this thread for the first time, and first of all,....sure glad you're okay! Yer' kinda' confusing us tho' when you say,....'that's why I'm a big believer in Suburu", and a couple lines later, you say,....."that's what I bought Friday, a Ford"! Huh! Must have been a "WAIT" for a Suburu, huh? Well, again, glad it wasn't worse,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

Stan,

My wife owns 2 Subaru Service Centers and if the insurance company decides to fix yours, a word of caution.

Even though a Subaru motor is considered a "clearance" motor, that is a misnomer. If the motor is running on a font end crash and the damage breaks into the timing case, it may have broken the timing sprockets and then it becomes a non clearance motor and you end up with bent valves. The valves will not hit the pistons but the valves do hit each other and you get a bunch of bent valves.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

Stan glad your ok yep deer and elk jump right at you
I got deer whistle on my car this is scare them off don't know if it's a gimmick or works but safe so far

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 12:21 am:

Thanks Brass car guy. We never tried to open the hood but I don't think it did that kind of damage.

Bob, study after study says the Deer whistles are worthless and user after user says they have never hit anything again after they put them on their car. I dunno, I have friends that swear by them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 12:55 am:

Hey Harold, here is the deal. There is no wait for Subarus here anymore. The Canadian dollar has shrunk so the sales to Canada that used to keep the Subi dealers busy all the time are pretty slow. You can actually get a little bit of a deal on one here now.

The reason I bought a Ford is that Subaru doesn't make a pickup. Among other reasons.

I bought an older Ford Sport Trac Explorer. I need a car and a pickup. When I bought the Subaru I had a nice Dodge 1500 quad cab pickup. I totalled it last July and after months of fighting with USAA Insurance finally got some money for it out of them. (Incompetent liars cheats and thieves, in my opinion) I settled for less than it was worth just to get them to settle it. Took over 4 months, several calls and a six page letter to the State Insurance Commissioner's office and threats of a lawsuit before they would give me anything and then they lowballed the offer and wouldn't go up. I had to just take what they offered. They just wouldn't respond to anything for a couple months.

The only reason they finally settled was that the body shop sent them a bill for $4500 for 100 days of storage at 45 a day. They called and screamed at me to get my pickup out of there because it was costing them too much money. I told them to settle the claim and they could move it. They finally did, basically gave me low book for a 2007 Dodge Bighorn with 121,000 miles on it. That had assumed 100% liability for the accident, their insured pulled out in front of me when I was about 50 feet away. Old geezer retired military guy. It is not wonder they say on those radio ads about what a great insurance company they are that the participants were paid for their statements.

Anyway, I have an old F250 4 x 4 Supercab Superduty, a little 91 Ranger Supercab 4 x 4, a 98 Dodge 1500 Club Cab 4 x 4 and a couple Willys 4 x 4's. I put over $1000 in to the F250 so I would have something to pull a trailer with etc., while I fought with USAA since you cannot rent a pickup and pull a trailer with it. Now it is good to go for anything I need in the forseeable future. So by selling the Subaru, selling the 98 Dodge and the Ranger and buying a Sport Trac I have a couple fewer vehicles on my insurance and now have a little pickup and a big pickup. The Sport Trac is a 4 door with a little box to keep stinky carbs and Model T partsfrom swap meets out of the interior and drives like a car. It is a Limited so it has all wheel drive, 4 wheel drive, 2 wheel drive, traction control and ABS and seats that are fairly comfortable. It will pull a small trailer, too. I hope I like it. I paid about 35 carb rebuilds for it.

So for awhile I will have two payments, one on the Sport Trac and one on the Subaru. When the Subaru either gets totalled -- unlikely since it is a 2014 -- or fixed -- two to three months down the road it will be gone and I will be out of that payment and insurance. I will sell it but will probably take a pretty good loss on it, too.

I wanted a new GMC Canyon quad cab but at $37,000+ the payment is around $700 a month -- I can't do it. A couple years down the road there will be some used ones around, the Subaru payment will be gone, the Sport Trac will have 200,000 on it and if I'm not in Assisted Living or the Dementia home by then maybe I'll trade.

I love the Subaru's all wheel drive, economy, reliability, power and resale value but no man on earth could devise a more uncomfortable driver's seat for somebody my size. I can't sit in it for more than a couple hours without getting out and walking around for 15-20 minutes. The seats are the number one complaint about Outbacks and there is no question why. They are just terrible. The seats were built for some young 79 pound Oriental guy, not a 250 lb old guy like me. They have the worst power adjustments, there is no possible way to get comfortable, you are scootching your butt one way and another ever ten seconds no matter how long or short the trip is.

I will never own another one until they do something with the seats.

I drove my 79 Eldorado straight through to Las Vegas a couple times 16 hours with just gas stops and got out and went partying for the rest of the night. I've driven my 80's F-150's to California and back over a weekend, 2400 miles round trip with a 1200 mile day each way and an auction in between the days. If I drove this Subaru 16 hours with no breaks except gas stops I would be in Orthopedic care for weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Far South Coast. NSW. OZ on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 12:58 am:

We have an Aussie equivalent here....."Shu-Roo".
Likewise, studies show they're useless, but owners, especially commercial drivers, say they work great.
Nearly every Taxi-Cab in Canberra have a pair fitted.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 01:44 am:

Stan, good to hear you came out of this OK. You've had a lot of close calls in the last few years haven't you? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 08:55 am:

This is why it's best not to drive at night in northern Mexico. Lots of open range, with cattle wandering onto the road. Cows don't move fast, so you can generally seen them coming in the daytime. Deer will appear suddenly, day or night.

Sometimes the police news in the local paper here will have half a dozen or more deer collisions, but I haven't hit one since 1993. I have come close to it a couple of times. Just lucky, I guess. No whistle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 10:07 am:

Stan, Just now reading this post. I had just skipped over it. Glad you are OK. We have several fatalities a year in our part of Arkansas, caused from accidents with deer. Even with all the safety stuff. It is usually the deer coming thru the windshield that kills someone. My daughter hit a deer several years ago. It went thru the windshield and landed in the front and backseat area. It broke the seat off at the floor. She was lucky that it went thru the passenger side. If anyone had been in the passenger seat. It would have killed them. She only had scratches from the glass pieces hitting her, and was very scared. Scary stuff. Again, Glad you are OK... Donnie Brown ... oh yea.. We have the whistles on all our cars and trucks. No one has hit a deer in our family that has had the whistles. My daughter did not have the whistles. I have seen the deer all raise their heads and look at our cars as we pass by. May be the whistles, maybe not. But, just in case, we all use them now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 10:30 am:

16 years driving on the job, 1.37 million miles behind the wheel. Got the whissles in my second year. Love them, believe in them. Had them on company vehicles for over ten years. Run them on my Golding. The last few years they cheaped out and guess when the only time I hit a deer. I didn't kill it and was able to drive the van home with only one headlight. When you drive the same roads over and over at about the same times and you see less and less animals you then change your time you then see them you realize that they learn to avoid the noise and wait for a different time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 11:26 am:

Glad to hear your OK but did you get any steaks for the freezer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

Stan - Yeah,.....USAA Insurance! I had a neighbor (USAA insured) back into my parked Mazda Protege a couple years ago, and I had the same experience as you did. Not as serious of an accident as yours, but I know what you mean when you say,..."months of fighting with USAA Insurance but finally got some money out of them". Same deal for me! And then as you say,...had to settle for a "lowball" settlement" 'cause I was just tired of the whole mess!

You know, there's no question that the "modern age" that we live in is really better than the Model T era in so many ways, but there are a few things that we deal with nowadays that were not much of a problem back then. Heck,....I remember when I finally got my "pieced together" Model A running in high school in the Chicago area, I drove the heck out of that thing, all over Chicago and for a long time, didn't even have any insurance! Of course in those days, we didn't live in the overly litigious society that exists today,.....and come to think of it, I don't even remember any "lawyer jokes" back in those days!

Again,.....glad you came out of that mishap with only a bruise and probably a couple more gray hairs, huh? ......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Harold, it is impossible for my hair to get any grayer and I would be happy to have a couple more but I don't think that will ever happen.

Denny, it would have all been hamburger.

Actually, in Montana you can take the animal if you want, the highway patrol will sign you off to take it and then you have to fill out a form and send it to Fish and Game. The patrol has a list of people who will come out and salvage the animal and donate it to the food bank and etc. There are hundreds of Deer, Elk, Moose, Antelope etc., kills on the roads here every year. It is a good program.

The patrol has the authority to shoot a suffering animal if it is in the ditch but can not cross over to private land to do it. I've shot a couple that were in the ditch suffering that other people had hit. This one went through the open gate and in where the haystacks were as far as we could tell. By the time I got untangled from the air bags and seat belts it was gone. I think I hit it on the right back leg.

We also have a program where hunters who do not personally want the meat from an animal can donate it to the food bank. There are many meat processors in the state who will process the animal at a free or reduced rate.

We could not see the Elk in the ditch although there was a small deer there from a previous hit. I stopped and took some pictures Saturday when I went to Basketball in Twin Bridges, drove in and looked behind the hay stacks and there was a dead Elk in there, whether it was the one I hit or not I don't know but I assume it was.

Jerry, IMHO the problem with the whistles is they do not work on all Deer or Elk and when you have them on a vehicle you get complacent because you think the animal will move when he hears the whistle. I dunno. I never could see that they did anything. Some people swear by them. Fish and Game says they are worthless. Highway Patrol has no opinion -- publicly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

Not to make light of your incident, but the "in the ditch" comment reminded me of this story;
An insurance company has called a claimant into court, refusing to pay his medical bill from an accident. The old guy had been hauling his favorite mule to a show and in the accident, the car went in one ditch, the trailer with the mule in the other ditch. The insurance lawyer asked the guy, "At the scene of the accident, didn't you claim you were fine?" "Yes sir." "Then why are you claiming all these medical expenses?"
"Well, you see, when I came to, in the ditch, I could hear my mule braying painfully from the other ditch. This patrol officer came by and I heard him walk over to the other ditch; then I heard a loud "Bang" and my mule fell silent. He then came over to my said and asked, "Are you OK?"
WELL what would YOU say in that situation?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Stan,

Glad you OK and kept it all on the road. I worked nights for years and came home in the dark with all the reflectors memorized in farmland and knew what didn't belong there. Came close many times and only hit one deer once...while working animal control to go shoot nuisance deer in research areas and hit one. Got that job done for lots more $$ than the 50 cent bullet.

Actually your post is not off topic, it should read that any Model T needs glass replacement from plate to safety glass. We can hit anything at anytime or have an accident and with original plate glass the result at the least will require many stitches and worse a funeral for the driver or passengers. A minor accident with plate glass can cause horrible cuts or death.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Stan:
We just got back from "the Hills" and saw your post. Thank God you're all right, and were driving a vehicle that is designed to take the impact and protect you. I'm also aware of the size of elk and deer. I've been in 5 deer/vehicle accidents either driving or as a passenger. I agree, DO NOT attempt to swerve. I've seen too many good people killed by such action. Cars can be replaced, people can't!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Stan,I see the Outbacks all around here, the mail men use them alot. They look nice. Hard to believe they have bad seats for what they cost.

.Thank God I have only hit 1 deer myself over the years but my neighbor has hit about 5,1 a year lately.
When I hit the big fat old doe coming out of a curve I was driving my 66 f100 and I saw her,slowed down and BAM, and then ran over the deer with front and rear wheels on the right side. She moved about 2 foot and died. I had to take the front bumper off and cut it 2 with the torch,weld it back together straight,paint and reinstall. Can't tell it ever happened. The only airbag that truck has is me in it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 12:56 am:

I pointed out to a guy today that the Wolves haven't got ALL the Elk. There is a herd right there all the time. Not too many but there are always a few. I'd even slowed down to watch for them. This is where it was, river on the left through an open gate, round bales on the right though an open gate, mountains about half a mile to the right. I took this about the same time of day Saturday. There was already a dead Deer in the ditch right where I hit the Elk.

The Highway Patrol lady had to leave as soon as she gave me the accident report because they had another Elk hit about 6 miles south of Whitehall. They are all over here. The Wolves haven't got them all but they do keep them down out of the mountains maybe a little more than they used to and round bales are easier to find than browse to eat.

Surprisingly, the ditches don't look too steep in this photo but they are steep enough you can't hardly walk down in the ditch, you side down the bank and crawl out. I hit the Elk just past the reflector post on the right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Years ago I was a first responder to a call, a Porsche 965, I believe was the number .... big whale-
tailed fancy-pants go-fast car found a cow on the road at about 120 mph. The car clipped the legs
out from under the cow and 500lbs. of beef loaded itself in through the front glass, ripping the A-pillars
out and bending the roof back like a soup can lid. The mass snowballed from there, taking the two
front seats and their occupants and stuffing all of it into the rear engine compartment like a funnel.

The car continued on an easterly trajectory for a half mile, slowly drifting off the pavement, down
into a shallow ditch and across a field, much like as shown in Stan's last photo. Never seen so much
blood in my life. We had pulses when we arrived, but neither one survived the scene. The car had
California plates, so I assume they had no idea of our deer and elk populations, but then again, there
was hardly a car in my little town that had a straight front end from banging into them. In two years
on the Fire Dept., I saw only two structure fires, but daily car accidents were the norm, usually single
car incidents with no driver present when we arrived !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

This is why I think accessory brakes should be allowed in the Montana 500.

(I've crashed into deer twice with old cars and better brakes couldn't have prevented it, but good brakes in modern cars has saved me once from crashing into a large moose and a couple times with deer.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

I think we should outlaw wildlife on public roadways without proper safety training and certification. I mean,
I have to do all that stuff ! Why do these critters get a free pass to cause mayhem ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Fencing in all the highways in Montana would cost a lot per vehicle.. In more populated areas it can be feasible, we have more than 2000 miles of our major roads fenced in with 87" high steel fence to avoid moose collisions here in Sweden.
The major risks for collisions on unfenced roads are at dawn or dusk in my experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

That would be a very small percentage of the roads in Montana. We have 75,000 miles of public roads.

I told the HP Trooper that they should move the "Elk Crossing" signs so the Elk would cross up closer to the top of the hill where drivers could see them better. Where they cross now is too close to that curve that hides them. She said they had thought of that but so many of the Elk can't read she didn't know if it would do any good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

35,000 miles of roads in Sweeden, 175,000 square miles. 75,000 miles of roads in Montana, 147,500 square miles. Population of Sweden: 9,500,000. Population of Montana <1,000,000

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Stan, I know you are talking tongue in cheek but let me tell a story that fits here.

Back in 2003 I was working alone and responsible for the signage on about 3000 miles of road in Union county NC.
Well I got a work order for 2 deer crossing signs on a road in Waxhaw.
I was told to visit a lady that wanted to talk to me about where to put the signs.
I went by the house and she opened the door and I told her who I was and such. She proceeded to explain that the deer crossed the road right over there between those 2 cedar trees.
I said thanks and I would measure back 500 feet and put up a sign for each approach. She was flabbergasted. She said, "Son,I just told you where the deer cross,the signs need to go there for the deer growing up to learn where to cross".
She slammed the door in a tizzy and I had to go report this on the radio to my boss. Later the supervisor for the paint crew ask if he needed to come down and paint crosswalks for the deer to make her happy! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration