OT-Search Feature

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT-Search Feature
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

I continue to struggle with the search feature of this FORUM. Whether I use FireFox or Internet Explorer I get the same error message:

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-search.cgi from 172.243.156.213
/cgi-bin/discus/search.cgi 500 - internal error
Our 500 message
Chris Brancaccio - 2013
www.mtfca.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0

Anyone else having issues and if not, what browser are you using?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

John,

You are not alone...

Along with a wonderful life, in a (for now) free society, we humans have to carry the burden of a body that sometimes suffers illness, disease, or accidents. On balance, I cannot imagine being in a better place.

Our Forum is somewhat like us and our Planet...for the most part, things are good, but there are unfortunate weather events and other things that make life challenging.

Having given you the preface, let me say that I seldom use the Forum search feature anymore. Say what you will about the Forum, antique that it may be - it's like the Model T - it works, and it continues to work well if you learn it's quirks.

Yes, people want to go to a different Forum operation. I don't. Nor do I want to live on Mars, or the moon - this Forum is great...just don't use the search feature.

Whatever you want to know, ask Mr. Google. There are apparently an endless number of geeks who continually feed information to Mr. Google, and he, in turn readily dispenses it to all who ask!

Whatever you want to know, put into as few words as necessary to ask your question in the "Google search box" AND put the letters MTFCA at the end of those words, and you should get numerous replies - some of which may be just what you want to know.

For example:

put into the search box the following (without the quotes):

How to start a Model T MTFCA

Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

I pretty much do what Dave does except I put mtfca.com at the end to limit the search, for example "radiator repair mtfca.com" without the quotes. Also the method works not only with Google, but other search engines as well, and is fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

The main problem with the forum search engine is that it gets overloaded with hits very easily since there are so many old threads now with more than 10 years forum discussions searchable. If you get more than 500 hits or whatever the exact number, then it crashes like described in the first post.

Years ago you could go around that by being specific by using several words, but that'll rarely work today - so now you may instead restrict the search in time to a specific forum year, or with the recent postings function where you can narrow the search to a certain number of days before today. That's the only way I'm using the forum search - it's when I know I'm searching for a recent thread, since Google doesn't have that feature :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Google does have a feature that allows you to search for recent entries. Do your regular Google search, then click on the icon circled in red below. An "advanced search" menu will appear that will allow you to specify the language, time span, and other properties of your search. Select the features you want, then scroll to the bottom and click "search". :-)

screen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

Trying again, resizing the screenshot to fit in the page:

screen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

What I do is type what I'm looking for in the search box then go down to the 'search topic' box and select a year,say 2015 to render down the choices.I've had the same problem and found this works most of the time.I use Mozilla Firefox.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 02:09 am:

Thanks Mark for the Google lesson :-)
In their strive to keep their page clean, they have hidden so many useful features..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 04:30 am:

This is useful.
So why is it marked 'OT'?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Thanks folks.

Reminds me of what my son always says... "GTS"

(Google that S__t)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration