OT: Are collectors buying into a car bubble that is about to burst?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT: Are collectors buying into a car bubble that is about to burst?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Since I can remember I have always been a car nut. I have enjoyed the pleasure of owning many classic cars. Some I broke even with, one I made money on (Porsche 356) and rest.... well you know.
But the last year has been very strange in car pricing. For example the 911... two years ago I could get a really nice early 911 for under 20K I even contemplated it but thought the justification to buy one would most likely end in a divorce...
I am sure my wife would think I bought it to impress some girl... doesn't she know me by now?
Anyway, you look at pricing now and the same 911 is now $100,000! What I don't understand is that you can throw a metric bolt and hit an early 911 (there are so many of them) yet a Lamborghini which only a few 1000 were made (the Espada) are demanding the same prices, and we will not even go into Ferrari.
Today I decided to look at the Mini cooper... specifically the S. I have always wanted one... so after surfing a bit I found a really nice one for... wait for it... $74,000! there go my mini cooper dreams... All these cars are just jumping up like crazy.
The last car is the Porsche 928. I had # 366 off the line... sold it for 7K about 7 years ago (bought it for 5K) now these cars have never, I mean never been more than 10K I just saw # 402 (exactly like the one I had even same color) its at 11K and reserve not met and there is a 1981 for 20K! What?
It seems to me that we are in a bubble... question is, when will it burst!
Lastly, the early cars like the T... First it was 50's cars then muscle cars, now the 60's and 70's cars... will we be going full circle and come back to the early pre 30's cars?
I hope so!
What say you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

No telling.
Just today i went over to help a high school classmate get a 1949 John Deere B running.It was restored,ran very little and parked about 7 years ago.
I got it running. Looks good if cleaned up.
He paid about 7 k for I think when he bought it 9 years ago. He ask me what i thought it would bring,about 4 k probably.

But what really got me was this.
His dad delt with the movie business. Had alot of money at 1 time. has alot of old movie related stuff and alot has been sold now that he is sick and old. But in the barn yard was not 1 but 2 Rolls Royces. 1 1972 and 1 1977. Both were drivable decent cars in 1993 when last driven.Both left to the elements,the 72 has a old tarp over it. The 77 is so rusted down when I touched the roof of the car in 1 spot,it caved in. Cars are in terrible condition.
I looked on google and a decent 72 is around 50,000 bucks. I doubt you could get 1500 for either of these cars. They are that bad. But somewhere,someone may want them for parts or restore. But they would have to be desperate.
I literately would make street rods out of them. It would be impossible to get them as they once were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Probably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

I dont believe most of us are buying into the bubble but the high end cars( ferrari, and porsche) there has to be a ceiling somewhere! I see our cars becoming cheaper. Good old restorations that have been left to sit are popping up all the time, those cars are the ones to buy. Some updating, some repairs, more correct parts. Most decent mechanics will be far ahead on cars like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Prices are getting higher on original and restored cars, just check the prices on mid 30s Ford PU's. Guess the rodders have done us a favor with their butcher work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Rolls Royce speedster. Hmm?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

These are 70's Rolls,wouldn't look to good without fenders and such:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

This is our
Company Car. 1970 Rolls
Hardwick Clothes Inc
Since 1880

Hardwick Rolls

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Yep that the style of them.
If you want parts or 2 cars,1 without engine,they are forsale!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration