Carburetor ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carburetor ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 04:45 am:

Which carburetor is this? Tag says Holly NH doesn't look like NH and it is brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 07:37 am:

Try a magnet on it. Magnets do not stick to brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 08:47 am:

What I can see of it looks like NH to me, but I've never seen a brass (bronze?) one. How about some pictures of it off the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

I had a brass body NH carb. Only difference we could find was spring loaded throttle shaft. I donated it to Jay for the MTFA museum. He wrote an article on it for the vintage ford. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

Steve, There is a lot of good photos in the Vintage Ford article. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

Brian, Does your carb have a spring loaded throttle shaft??? Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Would be rather nice for a Ford marine engine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

The carb is a brass Holly NH. It has the spring on bottom. I will be pulling off the car tomorrow. I will have good photos in a day or two.
Not going to sell. The MTFCA has one on display at there museum thanks to Mr. Kirtley. I will be building a stand and loaning to Piquette for display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Brian, Glad to hear that. Cant wait for more photos. I'll try to locate the issue of the Vintage Ford with the carb article. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Brian, Photos of a BRASS NH are in the May/June 2015 Vintage Ford article by Jay Klehfoth. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Brian, your T will run a lot better with that carb, if you add the hot air pipe to direct the warm manifold air into the carb.

I had a rough running T for 10 years before anyone told me the importance of that simple little hot air pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

Brian, Did you get the carb I sent you?? Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Mr. Kirtley, Thank you! I received it. I have removed the carburetor! Pictures to follow. Thank you. I have been in contact with Mr. Steve Shotwell and the Carburetor will be on display at Piquette.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Photos of Brass NH Carburetor!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

Brass Holly NH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

I've seen hundreds of NH carbs, but never brass. That has to be a pretty rare bird.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Notice the spring under the throttle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

It looks like it has had lots of work done to it after it left Holley. One obvious problem, it seems to have both a center drain and a bowl drain, something Holley would never have done. Likely it is a center drain carburetor that now has a replacement bowl that has the side drain.

The carburetor is set up for 1925 - 26 style linkage, and it is not a straight thru. Maybe Holley was experimenting with going back to bronze, or it had a bunch of bronze sitting around that they needed to use up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Royce, Why the spring loaded throttle?? Someone suggested a marine application? Then why a steel bowl?? I have been questioning these things for years.. Don

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration