OT- Miracles Still Happen

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT- Miracles Still Happen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Azevedo on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Miracles do happen! You might remember a posting in December 2010 that my F-250 Ford pick-up and attached trailer were stolen from me in Pittsburg, CA. Inside the trailer was my restored 1911 EMF touring. Forum postings had some strong opinions about this theft. We recovered within a week the stripped trailer within 4 miles of my home. Two more weeks we recovered the stripped pick-up about 8 miles from my home. Then on Friday, May 13, 2011, we recovered the car on Bethel Island. It was also stripped of all brass and other items. The guy trying to sell the car said all the brass was gone, scrapped out. I had no choice but to believe him. Many across the country have helped me locate various duplicate EMF items that I needed. To those individuals I am truly grateful.
Now we fast forward to January 21, 2016. A fellow club member e-mailed me about EMF parts for sale listed on the classified section of the HCCA web site. The parts were on Bethel Island! Long story short, we recovered the radiator and shell, hood, windshield with support rods, headlights, sidelights, tail light and steering wheel and spider. All these were taken off my car. The guy trying to sell the parts was unaware they were stolen. Law enforcement is working with him on who sold him the parts. There are many other parts that have not been recovered (horn, speedometer, coil box, steering column, carb, robe rail, foot rail, Prestolite tank, battery box, tools, etc.) ;however, we are very thankful to get the major parts back. And for those wondering, J. C. Taylor has been wonderful and extremely fair with the claim. My EMF will soon be back touring on California roads!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Don,

I'm very happy for you in recovering so much of your stuff. Hopefully more and more parts will find their way home.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:34 am:

That is good news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Some time back, a friend of mine happened to mention that his building was broken into and someone stole all 4 wheels off his '13 T. About 6 months later, another friend asked me what 4 Model T wheels would be worth. It wasn't until he mentioned how odd it was that the wheels seemed show evidence of having just been removed that the little light went on in my mind. I called the owner and told him what flea market he could find his wheels at. He called the cops, who told him it would be best if he just bought them back from the thief! The thinking being, that the thieves and their buddies know where he keeps his cars and would probably get revenge if he pressed charges. Anyway, he agreed with their logic and he bought them back.

Yup, miracles happen...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

That's asinine. So at what item value is it worth it for the police to after the bums? Sounds like to me that the police know who did it or are just too lazy to put down their doughnuts and do their job. I'm sure the thieves feel bad about taking the wheels and won't do it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Azevedo on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

After my pick-up, trailer and 1911 EMF were stolen and I got the tip that the stripped car was on Bethel Island, I had to do a lot of talking to get the CHP Investigators to go with me to check it out. Their main job is to deal with drugs and murders. Car theft is secondary. (I threatened to go alone with my friends Smith and Wesson.) After we found the car, they could not prosecute the guy as they could not prove he knew the car was stolen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

Don,
At least charged with possession of stolen property!
That might get the guy talking.
What does it take for the law to do their jobs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Don,
Glad you got your stuff back! I helped a local fellow here with getting some of his "goods" back. Even went to the guy's place where the stuff was at. Didn't find out until later that they thought he did it. Basically, the thug stole the stuff to sell to get money to buy drugs. According to the police, putting someone away for theft is nothing, but if they can lock them up on a drug charge, they'll be in for a while. Last time I heard, the thief was rotting in jail.
Verne Shirk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Here in California, with the passage of Proposition 147 last year, many, many crimes are no longer punishable. This reduces overcrowding in our prisons!! The politicians are patting themselves on their backs for solving this problem The rest of us are living with a fairly major increase in petty crimes.
Though I can't understand the problem Don had with getting the CHP to help out--the value of the EMF should put that into the Felony range.
What did Shakespeare say? "First Kill all the Lawyers?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Unfortunately, Proposition 47 was passed by the California voters. Commit a theft under $950 and you get a ticket and are released at the scene. Same also applies to drug possession. Nice! I cant wait to retire and move out of California. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Don, that is great news! Quite a
surprise after all this time, hope you find the rest of the parts. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 01:53 am:

Wow, Don, FANTASTIC!!!! Glad to hear that you may be getting the EMF back together at last.

I will avoid any political comments at this time.

I read the title of the thread, and said to myself, I wonder if it could be either Jay Robinson or Don Azevedo with good news. I was so-o happy to read your top post!
Now I need to call Jay R again to see how he is doing.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:02 am:

Mark,
I don't know how things are down there, but up here we are having a rash of mail thefts--and they're pretty sure they know who's doing it, but it's too much trouble to even write the ticket!
:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Gary,

Yes, it is asinine. What else can I say...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Yes, since the passage of Prop 47 and AB 109 thefts are up in our community by 60 percent. Recently, we stopped a trio of drug abusers who committed a theft at the local Target. When confronted, they indicated they were sure to keep the value of the theft below the $950 amount and indicated we would have to cite and release them in the field. Because they were correct in their assertion, they did indeed only receive a citation and were promptly released at the scene. The bad guys are well aware of the law and how to navigate it. But hey, the jails are no longer overcrowded right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:30 am:

Don, that is great news! Hope to see the EMF on a tour in the future. Bethel Island of all places! I wonder if Lynn and Mike McMurray know what was happening on their island?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 11:06 am:

At a Model T club meeting last year a county sheriff was our guest speaker. I was surprised to learn that if a house is broken into in that county the police will put a report together, but won't do any investigation unless over $5,000 was stolen.

Asking around, it seems that many counties and communities have their own thresholds on what they will and wont investigate. I was real surprised...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration