Brass Plating - anyone try at home/shop?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brass Plating - anyone try at home/shop?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Gall on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

Has anyone tried brass plating steel themselves? Caswell Plating sells a kit but I'm wondering what would happen with a brass electrode in an electrolyte solution with a hotshot battery for current.

Rands windshield hinge bolts and springs were originally brass plated. The hardware from my 1912 Torpedo still showed brass plating even after sandblasting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

Have a look at this . . .https://tune.pk/video/3269993/spray-on-chrome---jay-leno&
Once you get past the 12 second ad, Jay Leno's Garage talks about refinishing with spray. As you can see, the clear coat can be tinted. The local Rod Shoppe has this process and can tint to a 'brass' colour. . . . Thinking of trying then at some point on pre 15 headlights pieces.

Thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Brass plating will soon bubble and even come off after cleaning to remove corrosion. I have the parts chrome plated and simply varnish them which protects them from corrosion and looks like brass. Please don't tell the judges ;~)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Most "flash" plating of brass directly to steel will not last very long at all but many auto makers early on did use this much as zinc plating is used today as a quick "rust prevention" technique but the brass quickly comes off. Most places where there was known to be high wear like the early brake lever, they plated copper first and then brass on top of that. Still later they just painted the lever black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Most "flash" plating of brass directly to steel will not last very long at all but many auto makers early on did use this much as zinc plating is used today as a quick "rust prevention" technique but the brass quickly comes off. Most places where there was known to be high wear like the early brake lever, they plated copper first and then brass on top of that. Still later they just painted the lever black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

Brass plating can be overlayed with a layer of chrome plating for longevity. It does cast a bit of blue into the brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

Bill I have electroplated Nickel, silver, brass and zinc in my homemade hobby room plating operation. Brass is the toughest process for me to accomplish. When adding zinc and copper cyanide to the bath you have to be very careful, these cyanides will kill you if inhaled. I use 80/20 copper/zinc anodes in the bath. You have to be able to regulate current (voltage) to within a single volt. You have to be able to control temperature of the bath within 20F. You have to be able to hold the PH factor within .5 and all the time watching that changes in these factors will change the color of the plating. I work with small items and low voltages 2-6 volt in restoring toy sewing machines from the 50's. My plating jobs never are out in the elements and are usually never even played with. Collectors buy my finished products. I can help you with building your own plating operation and assist you in the process but if your just going to do a few parts for yourself, have someone else do it. Just the process of mixing a chemical with water or water with a chemical can be devastating. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Ross Benedict Canada, Don't forget to leave me in your will, Your long lost nephew Bob Benedict

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Gall on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

Thanks for everyone's input. That's what I like so much about this forum - very helpful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 01:32 am:

Bob Benedict, Humboldt . . Sorry cousin, but I'm spending my daughters inheritance as we speak!! Doubt there will be much more than a Model T, parts and debt.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration