Are there any road maps for the model T drivers.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Are there any road maps for the model T drivers.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Matthew's story about his grandfather having a hard time driving the streets in today's congested roads gave me an idea...
I don't know if there are any out there, but is there a site one can jump on maybe some sort of google maps on the computer where folks can lay out T friendly roads to ride on?
If not maybe we could start with the routes the tours take and map those roads traveled, that way with enough input we can have a country map for model T drivers, or any other pre 30's cars.
I am going to check google and see what comes up...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

I use Google Maps and check avoid highways. It'll get you close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

I lay out routes on Map My Fitness.The satellite view shows you what the countryside is like, the biggest blowup shows you what the intersections are like, and the tracking feature shows mileage to .01. I'm using it now to lay out routes for the Hershey Hangover next October. But be warned: whatever fancy-schmancy computer planning you use, you MUST get your butt out on the proposed route in your modern car and find all the bear traps the computer didn't tell you about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

Check state scenic roads or bicycle routes. County, township roads and back highway roads maps can be gotten for your county.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

I remember when it was easy to come by street maps. _No more. _I live in western Suffolk County, here on Long Island and the street map for that section of the island hasn't been printed in a while. _Repeated visits to places like Barnes & Noble turned up mostly road maps, but no street maps. _I suppose that in this age of GPS, smartphones, GoodleMaps and MapQuest, the demand for folding paper maps is insufficient to justify frequent printing.

When I plan out backroad routing for my Model T, the online resources have to suffice. _Just to make sure, I take a dry run in my modern car and sometimes encounter hills steep enough to require re-routing.

Our parkway system was envisioned beginning around 1906 and continued through the 1930s; in other words, the heyday of the Model T Ford. _On and off-ramps were (and still are) quite short, which is a reflection of the low driving speeds for which they were originally designed. _With modern traffic tootling along at 65 mph, they require a little energy management and planning ahead. _On the other hand, the intentionally low overpasses keep trucks elsewhere and in an effort to maintain it's scenic magic, all of Long Island's parkways continually snake left and right, which keeps a tree-lined horizon ahead. _And nowhere on Long Island are billboards allowed. _Yes, practicality and utility dictated the raise in speed-limit, but back in the day, it must have been a real pleasure to chug along at 35 mph, enjoying what amounted to an extended national park. _My Model T would just love that! _Sorry about wandering off-topic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

My wife and I drive many back roads. Our go to map is Jimapco, and find it very useful. I have attached the link.

http://www.jimapco.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

Motorcycleroads.com has something like that. You touch a state and it gives you a list of places to tour. There is another that's sort of like that with routes on the back roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

We don't have many roads that I would call the back roads type with room to pull over (most are still section roads with just the road and deep ditch on both sides). Outside of towns and unless the speed limit is posted the roads are basic rule 55 MPH, have been for longer then I have been driving (I am almost 60). I drive a lot in city traffic with turn signals and brake lights. If we travel any distance we try and pick 4 lane roads that DO have room to pull off. Some people in the club just don't get the fact that they can't poke along at 25-30 on any of the roads around here. Most drivers are good sports about us touring but we try to encourage safety for EVERYONE.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration