Old Photo- Winter Runabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo- Winter Runabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Looks like the same store front in both photo's and it must have been the local Ford dealership from the signage on the windows and the sign on the corner of the building. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

I bet the front wheels got harder and harder to turn as they loaded up with heavy gumbo......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 03:16 am:

I wonder if that amount of mud congesting half the radiator was enough to make it boil? Depends on the outside temperature, I guess?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 03:19 am:

Interesting Ford script under the windshield.
Erich, I don't think that is gumbo, looks like ice to me! Brrrrr! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:48 am:

Nice '10 Tourabout photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:48 am:

Looks like he took the Ford logo off the radiator core and attached it to the windshield riser board

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:25 am:

My God what a slobbed up mess! At least he kept the cowl lights covered. Jim..you're up late...high wind keeping you awake? LOL...hit 52 mph here overnight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:26 am:

Considering the runabout top, it may have been a runabout accessorized with a Tourabout rear seat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 09:15 am:

You should've seen the car BEFORE they fixed up the roads! :-)

No wonder spokes wear out and snap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:35 am:

I don't like driving my old cars in the rain, much less the mud up to the axles. Roads were not much back in those days. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

It looks more like ice and slush than mud. That's why I moved from Akron Ohio to the South as soon as I graduated. Believe me that radiator will not boil over. MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Great photos! Thanks for posting!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Those photos were taken in front of my Grandfather's garage in Franklin Pa.

This 1917 photo must have been taken about the time he moved to a new building a block away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Dale,

Great photos and story!

Roger,

I agree with you that it could easily have been a Roadster that had a second front seat installed so it was now configured like a tourabout. I think that would have been more likely than a tourabout that was purchased and fitted with a roadster top. But we may never know how it got that configuration. Note on pages 57 & 58 of Bruce's book "Model T Ford" he shows photos of a similarly configured T.

Note with the "billed" front fenders it is most likely after serial #2500 or so. On May 29, 1909 they shipped #4000 (ref page 482), and #8,100 was shipped Jul 31, 1909 (Page 484) so "IF" it was a roadster converted to a tourabout it may have been a 1909 or a 1910 model. And after Jun 23, 1909 I did not see any more colors listed except for Green in Bruce's listing. There may have been some as he was only recording approximately every 100 serial number with some others thrown in if they had a good comment etc. At this point I'm leaning towards late 1909 but again, we may never know for sure.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

I just can't imagine having two mother-in-laws sitting behind me...:-( !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Wayne - Might be tolerable as long as they were somebody else's mother-in-laws, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 05:27 am:

Here is mine:
It is originally a Runabout June 1909

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Robbie, is your car a wide track? From the picture, the fenders look wider than the standard fenders and the lower edge curves inward to meet the edge of the running broad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Yes,
It is a wide track.
I wandered if anyone would notice.

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 05:30 am:

I bet they are still trying to thaw out the old bat who was on the back seat....AND with the ice buildup on that radiator it must have had 100 proof circulating in that engine.....Ahhh the good old days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

Having just come from sitting behind a horse or two in an open wagon or sleigh, folk were a lot tougher then than they are now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

Like to have the 3 pieces of glass out of Dales photo on the old ford dealer in my garage doors that say Ford Motor Cars!! Really cool.... Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration