What could these holes on the speedster project been for. ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What could these holes on the speedster project been for. ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

I am in the process of fitting and making the windshield frame, as well as doing the final details of the cowl/dash area. There are three holes in the top of the cowl that I have no clue what they may have been for. At first glance they appear to be the same as the holes in a running board bracket. The two holes side by side match the spacing of a running board bracket, but the single hole is off by about 1 full hole. I thought the holes may have been for a mirror, or possibly a brace for the windshield that used to be on the car. (I have no remains of the original windshield) Or, possibly for a running light, spot light.??? I just do not know. Any suggestions or ideas. ??? I would like to put something "neat" in that position. But I want it to look like it "should be there" I just stuck the running board bracket there for a reference point. Any input will be appreciated ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

Donnie, I would say a spotlight of some sort or maybe a horn or bell. Two holes to bolt it down and the third for the wire or hose to work it.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 01:58 am:

Is there a chance the windshield was a V shaped one & that's the center mount?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 03:52 am:

Donnie, maybe some kind of horn or siren? Interesting. A spotlight does make sense too. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:43 am:

I'm with Dave Dewey, I think there was a v-shaped windshield on it (which would look really good on that body).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 09:01 am:

I had also thought about the V-shaped windshield. But there is no sign of anything rubbing or rust lines, discoloration, ect that would indicate that a V-shaped frame was ever on the car. There were some holes along the back lip, that are now covered by the windshield frame I am using. The holes did not match up to my new frame, but they were close. There also was an obvious sign of something rubbing and staining the body sheet metal where a windshield frame would sit at the back edge of the cowl. So I believe the original windshield was probably very similar to the one Im using. I probably will never know for sure what was there. But I do hope to find something "neat: to put there. I figure the very least is to make a thin plate and three screws to plug the holes. The only other thought I can come up with is maybe a fuel or oil pressure hand pump attached to the dash, and the holes are for a brace and reinforcing pad to support the end of the pump inside the cowl. ??? Thanks for the input ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Donnie

Would vote for a 'brace' to the windshield that was probably there originally.

A spot light on the center cowl could be considered, but not with a windshield. A spot light needs to be adjusted, many had wood or metal knob out the back of the lamp bucket, and an adjustable bracket for swinging the lamp side to side or up and down. If you place a spot lamp now, with your windshield, no way to adjust, as the glass is in the way.

Center mount on cowl spot lamp, no windshield.

'Brace' to windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Donnie I think the Duvall type V windshield would be more a 30's vintage and don't believe I have seen one on an original T speedster picture. I think the thoughts of spot light horn or if you really want fun a siren! MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Great spot for a cool custom patinafied emblem!

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

Perhaps someone added a hood ornament just for show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

You should make a nifty brace to the windshield. But. I'm biased. Lol

Seriously though, it could be roughly a triangle cross section and fatter at the base while getting skinnier as it goes up until it hooks the top of your windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

There are so many "could have been" type of things... I also thought "the whatever" could have been there before a windshield was added to my car. My car may only have had a windshield for part of its life ... Seths idea could work, Its very basic and simple ... Seth, how tall is your windshield from the top of cowl to top of frame. and how wide is the upper frame. You body being very similar to mine, Im curious how close in size our windshields will be ... Here is a picture of the windshield Im somewhat trying to copy. and also a pic I found of another brace ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

How about this one. Is it a little too much. :-) :-)

(Message edited by dobro1956 on February 03, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Speed demon! LOL that's fantastic. If you actually have that, then that is exactly what I would put there! I'll measure the windshield and all when I get home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Several of these devil thumbing nose ornaments on eBay

http://www.ebay.tv/sch/i.html?_sop=10&_nkw=devil+hood+ornament

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

Hey Donnie my windshield is 13.5" tall when measure from the center of the body and 28" wide.

One thing I would probably change is to make it a little taller. The top cross bar sometimes awkwardly blocks my vision of stop lights. I have to either sit up a bit or crouch down some so I don't lose them. I'm used to it now but I had some red lights sneak up on me that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Thanks Seth. Right now my windshield is 17 1/2 inches high. The pivot pin is in the bottom hole in the picture above. By moving it up to the other hole it will make the windshield 16 inches high. I have tried to mock it up, but mock ups can be misleading. I think I will move it to the upper hole and go with the 16 inch height. The lower it is the more stable it will be and also look "more better" :-) Right now at 17- 1/2 inches it looks a little too far above the top of the windshield posts. Thanks ... Donnie .......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 03:20 am:

Donnie

I would go spotlight or Windshield brace or both. Here is my Hector Jenkins R Fronty in the mid 50's with spotlight for the dirt roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Okay, I will offer another suggestion. Something I have seen a couple of, and several in original photos and literature.
It could be for a Motometer lamp. Two holes for a stable mount, middle hole for a single wire. An appropriate looking cowl lamp (or running board lamp) could be found and used to replicate one.
I have toyed with the idea of putting one on my boat-tail.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration