OT - 1956 March of Dimes tour

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - 1956 March of Dimes tour
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 11:02 am:

This medallion was on the dashboard. My assumption is that this car did at least a portion of the 1956 March of Dimes tour which started in Massachusetts and passed through Texas on the way to Los Angeles.

Google hasn't been that helpful. Anyone heard or read any stories about it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

Thinking it might be related to the Antique Automobile Club of America, I googled the following:

aaca "march of dimes" 1956

Look at the top three photos on this page:

http://www.chesapeakeaaca.org/pages/history/vintagephotographs/year1956/default. html

I wasn't so successful when I googled this:

"Antique Automobile Club of America" "March of Dimes" 1956

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

It looks like it may have been covered by different AACA Regions. That may be where you should inquire.

Here's one such event: http://chesapeakeaaca.org/pages/history/vintagephotographs/year1956/default.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

Ops! Erik types faster. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

More stuff:

http://digital.wellesleyfreelibrary.org/1956/files/assets/basic-html/page26.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

That was before the polio vaccines, when all the money raised by the March of Dimes went to polio. I have a somewhat atrophied left side from a relatively mild case of polio. Drs. Salk and Sabin, who independently developed the vaccines, are my lifetime heroes. And don't get me started on people who won't vaccinate their kids!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Jesse, thank you for posting, I found your post to be very interesting. Looks like the same woman is in the 3 photos for the, Club Event: 1 April 1956 - Baltimore's Charles Street Easter Parade.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

My first eye operations were done with the March of Dimes; this would have been in the mid-50s.
I was born extremely cross-eyed, consequently my mind never joined the eye images together (this happens when you are very young, first couple of months). So, don't throw me a baseball, or anything small, I REALLY can't see how close it is!
How do I drive? Relative sizes to the car, it's really hard for me to drive some of the new cars where the hood slopes down steeply, with little visible of it from the driver's seat.
But we're getting off-off-topic here! Hmm, model T related; the T hood, headlights & fenders give me lots of reference points!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Yeah, what a undertaking! How often do tours go coast to coast?

I found this news script from a Forth Worth station. Royce recommended I contact the university for more information so I dropped them an Email a few days ago. Apparently, it took place between January and February 1956.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc498512/m1/1/

>>>And don't get me started on people who won't vaccinate their kids!<<<

I remember sucking down a shot glass worth of vaccine in the elementary school cafeteria as a scrawny farm kid. Everybody got one regardless of their parent's ability to pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

A little drift:

Not long after the Salk vaccine was developed it was administered to us kids in school. One fine day we all lined up. There were 3 or 4 nurses in white uniforms running things. They were giving us tetanus vaccine in one arm, polio vaccine in the other arm and a TB test on the forearm. They had all those damn syringes laid out in alcohol filled white porcelain trays. The smell of all that alcohol was enough to make you dizzy. The sight of all those needles was enough to kill you.

I was next up. I went down like a rock. I woke up on the nurses cot a few minutes later, all shots having been administered while I was napping.

The process has been improved over the years, but I still hate needles! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

I remember all those vaccinations, the nurses, lines and all also. And yes, most of them are far more beneficial than hazardous. There were three rounds of polio vaccine. For whatever it is worth. I don't recall anymore whether it was because my brother was a lifetime severe asthmatic being treated as a test subject by Stanford University, or because I had two cousins with Cystic Fibrosis also being treated by Stanford. My family was the second line caregivers for my cousins and I saw them almost every day. All three were susceptible to outside infections, and there was a rare side effect showed up on the first two sets of vaccines that the doctors were unsure about. I was exempted from the third vaccine dose. The Stanford doctors said the first two doses were probably adequate anyway.

Just a worthless little sidebar from me.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:22 am:

I recall also that there were three "rounds" of polio vaccination. But didn't the third round come as a bit of serum on a sugar cube ? Seems like I remember that.

Salk and Sabin certainly were heros of the day. I wonder if schools give them any recognition today ?

Dick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration