Houston in the mid twenties. Hasn't changed much

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Houston in the mid twenties. Hasn't changed much
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlesHebert on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Well, I don't recognize the street, nor do I recognize the names on the buildings except for Shudde's and Rialto, and probably the most noticeable change, Houston hasn't allowed angle parking in decades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Now that's an eye full! Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

You're right Jay. Talk about congestion! And you better know right where you parked your car, what with so many that look the same. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

so maney dodges, wow must have had a good salesman. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Looking north on Main Street at the same location today.

The Rice Hotel is at the upper left at the corner of Main Street and Texas Avenue. That was the real center of downtown Houston when the old photo was taken. The Queen Theatre, 613 Main, was on the right.

We have trolley car tracks on Main now and you can't park a car on that street anymore.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:37 am:

Can't park? Heck you can barely drive! Thanks for posting the "today" picture. It's changed so much I didn't recognize the Rice Hotel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 08:02 am:

Terry,

I know what you are saying. I also live here and didn't spot the Rice. The "powers" that know best decided we would feel better about going downtown if we had trolley cars to ride.

The old trolley tracks are under the cars in the old photo and covered with paving.

Ken in Texas

(Message edited by drkbp on February 04, 2016)

(Message edited by drkbp on February 04, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Yea, the trolley thing amazes me.
The city of Charlotte nc paved over the trolley tracks and brick streets many years ago. My dad dug some of that stuff up in 1984 when Duke was burying new power lines. It weren't smart then,how is it smarter now?
While on this subject,how many of these do you ever see?
Cross walk markers from brick street. Tryon street in Charlotte.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Ken, do you mean the tracks have been paved over in the old picture? I don't see any. There are certainly no overhead trolley wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Yes. The old Houston Electric was running up and down Main Street in 1912. It was in the way I guess so in a lot of places the tracks were just covered with asphalt. Now we are doing the same thing again. Go figure.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Except that back then parking anywhere downtown was FREEEE...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

In Detroit, lots of trolley tracks were just paved over. Even today you can see where many have "floated" to the surface are visible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

In Detroit, you are likely to see anything 'floating to the surface', even Jimmy Hoffa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

A lot of brick streets, which will last a hundred years or more, have been covered with asphalt that has to be replaced every few years. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Thanks Terry, we'll look there next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

I think if I ever have a tree stump I need dug out Really bad, I will call the law and tell them I think Jimmy is under it! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration