Coker Tire Company

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Coker Tire Company
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

When did Coker start making antique tires? I have some on my '13 roadster that was restored in the late '40's, and I can't believe they were making tires then? They are not good looking tires to me, with an Allstate tread pattern. They don't say they are made in USA. The rubber is still very flexible. The tire I'm speaking of is a 30X3 and had a Wards 30X3 1/2 tube in it! I thought the tube would be all messed up, but isn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Larry, according to their website, they started in business in 1958.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Stan Lucas/Lucas Tire in Long Beach must have started his tire business about the same time or maybe in the 1960s. PJA which later became Lester which later became Universal started about the same time as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

I bought my first set of Model T tires from the Firestone company in 1964. They were more expensive than Wards Riversides but I wanted the "Non Skid" on them. I was disappointed. 30 x 3 1/2 did not have that. The catalog at that time showed more than a dozen sizes that they were still offering for antiques. They had the outside measurements. (34 x ...35 x ...etc.) They also had a variety of rims for sale. Clinchers and straight side. I assume as these ran out that Firestone decided there was not enough profit to continue with them. It would make sense that Coker and Lucas saw a market about that time. Late 50's, early 60's.
The tires were well made and I am still using 6 that were made during the 60's.

Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration